Bulkhead or straps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Izak
c

Bulkhead or straps?

Post by Izak »

Sorry, there's probably already a few post about this but i couldn't find any whith the search engine so I'll ask:

I'm converting a Dagger Ego into a C1 :D

and I was wondering should i use straps or bulkhead?

Whant are the factors that would influence my decision?

any other suggestion/tip appreciated...

Thank's!
I wanna grow up to do nothing but to have fun.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Anyhow, in my experience is that the saddle placement for straps and bulkhead should be slightly different. A bulkhead is heavier in front, so the saddle should be placed a slight bit further backwards.

A bulkhead is great for fast getting in and out, but it's impossible to adapt the fitting to another person or to the clothes you're wearing.

Straps on the other hand, are lighter and you can adapt them to other persons or to what you're wearing (shorties in summer, drysuit in winter?). Most if not all strap systems are not so easy to get in and out quickly.

I have a bulkhead, but the bulkhead makes my boat a little bow-heavy and still after quite some modifications it's not optimal yet, and quite a lot heavier. I haven't figured out a decent strap system either. But I'm talking OC1 here, no conversion.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'd reccomend a bulkhead & thighstraps over kneestraps & thighstraps/lapbelt.

In a playboat at least, I find that a decent (deep and engaging) bulkhead gives me far more control than kneestraps can.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

In the playboat (BS Rad 185) I use a 3.5" minicell bulkhead and a velcro lapbelt. I've used various clips and clasps on the lap belt in the past, I've found the velcro holds me in tight but I can push out of it in moments of panic. In the creeker (BS SCUD) I use a similar bulkhead and mid thigh straps that I can swim out of no sweat without having to do a second step. Two step escape methods should be looked at very carefully, definitly practice practice practice escape if you put a hard connection on a lap belt.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

This seems like a good subject for a poll, but here's my impressions.

For OC-1 outfitting, there are two options: bulkhead with footpegs or double strap with footpegs.

For C-1, the two options are either bulkhead w/ lapbelt or only thighstraps. The C-1's I've been don't allow enough wiggle room for foot stops and I've never felt them necessary with snug straps.

When converting a kayak, if you can find a Dagger pedestal an outfit with straps is easy to do, otherwise, making a bulkhead is easier.

The big safety concern with a bulkhead is a stern pin with water pushing you back making escape very difficult.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've used just about every combination in both C-1 and OC-1. What I like best is a bulkhead over my knees with thigh straps. I can hop in without securing the straps and control the boat well enough, sometimes even well enough to roll it, if I need to. The thigh straps are that extra bit of security and adjustability.

I tried to address the lack of adjustability of the bulkhead in one boat :

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam ... 5341056706

It's worked pretty well for adapting to changes of clothes but won't accomodate a paddler much smaller than me.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Would definitely be a good subject for a pool. The answers would be different if you consider a playboat or creeker/downriver for many though.

Just want to add that I feel to have a backbench that is well adjusted to your person is also adding control and somehow compensates a bit for not having footpegs in C1s. I even saw somebody on this forum that had crank straps on his backbench to adjust it further, like many yaks do. A setup like this could also help for adjusting the bulkhead somehow, much like scott's suggestion I guess...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

For OC1 I like thigh straps and some sort of foot stop or peg.

For C1 Play, I like a bulkhead and lapbelt.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

I really like thigh straps in a C-1, if done well they can hold you in without having to think about pushing against foot pegs (as long as your saddle has a sort of back to it), and if they're tight enough you don't necessarily need tooo much additional padding to stay not just in the boat, but tight and in control (usually I like something to the in/outside of my knees but above the knees isn't necessary). The issue is wet exiting from the boat in a hurry, though. Still, the Atom's outfitting for example which is pretty terrible holds me in, gives me some control, lets me come loose a little bit more than I'd like while rolling, but doesn't drop me out. This outfitting style is sort of a worst case scenario and it still works. I imagine a truly bad bulkhead would be totally nonfunctional. Straps are adjustable and work even if they're not perfect.