Did I get a deal?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

terrierpike
c

Did I get a deal?

Post by terrierpike »

So, I bought my first OC1. It's a 2003 Dagger Ovation 11. It came fully outfitted and I got the guy to throw in the float bags. I'd give the hull a 9.5/10. He said he'd only paddled the boat about 10 times. I've bought 10 or so kayaks and everyone says something like this when they sell you something, except this time, I actually believed him based on the condition. Basically, I want to find out if I overpaid. I'm not gonna post what I paid for it until some of you respond and tell me what you would've paid for it. I figure this way, you'll be more honest :roll: http://gallery.me.com/jefferyowen#100122
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

ovation

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

don't know if I'd want an ovation anymore... but.. a couple of years ago I paid $350 for a boat that wasn't in anywhere near as good as shape as that one..
I used it for a cpl of seasons and when i decided to sell I had no troubles getting rid of it at all.. It seemed to hold its value pretty well..

I have no idea what I would pay for your boat. Just my experiences with mine.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Knowing what you paid, you got a fine deal. Compare it to this other local Ovation on craigslist-- http://asheville.craigslist.org/boa/1385430430.html
Nice boat, but not nearly the bargain that yours was. Let's put her on the lake soon. I'll call you.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'd think $500 would be fair, especially when you consider what has happened to the price of new boats! You'll hear some knock the Ovation but it's a great boat to start in and how long you paddle it and how far you take it is up to you.
terrierpike
c

Post by terrierpike »

Wow, that craigslist ad made me feel better. Ok... so I paid $550, but at GAF I sold my kayak and paddle for $450, so really it was a net $100 purchase. I know the Ovation isn't the most popular design, but as a noob I probably don't need something really aggressive anyhow. Thanks for the replies and thanks for the great forum and information. - Jeff
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Ben Franklin
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Great Price for a good boat, there is nothing exciting about the Ovation but it is a predictable, stable user friendly design, great skill building boat for a noob.
I had a yellow one a few years back and sold it for $500.00
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Did I get a deal?

Post by philcanoe »

terrierpike wrote:So, I bought my first OC1. It's a 2003 Dagger Ovation 11. It came fully outfitted and I got the guy to throw in the float bags. I'd give the hull a 9.5/10. He said he'd only paddled the boat about 10 times.
sounds like a boat w/good Karma - maybe you'll outgrow it in 10 trips too... :wink: have fun
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Yuck

Post by jim gross »

I hate guessing games
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Rule #1 - having a boat is better than not having a boat (see : opportunity cost)
Rule #2 - paddle forward - no looking back, no buyers remorse!

A wise man told me once, "You never remember how much you paid for a good tie" [A wiser man said "Ties, we don't need no steeenkin' ties - skobotin'!" ] If you outgrow it, sell it before you wear it out. Or better yet, hold on to it and use it as your loaner boat to hook a friend.

Go paddle!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I agree with Scott.... question is "Are you happy with the buy?". :wink:

Now just get out get happy paddling it!!! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Definitely a smoking good deal 8) .
I think the ovation is a decent boat to start out with, and as others have mentioned, any boat is better than no boat 8)!!

Enjoy!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'd say the boat was easily worth $800. It could have even be worth more if the outfitting was better.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

As a former Ovation paddler I have to agree with Milkman - you got a heck of a good deal.
The Ovation was my first whitewater specific hardboat. That boat will take you as far as you want to go. Great creeker, loves to side surf (with you in the boat or not :roll: ). I almost miss mine.

Mick :D
coloradopaddler
C Guru

what's wrong with ovations?

Post by coloradopaddler »

This summer I sold my beat up, eleven year old ovation for $250. I then bought one in similar shape to the one you've bought for $500. The ovation is a great boat and I'm really happy that I was able to find a newer one to replace my favorite creek/play boat. You got a great deal!
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Good deal. The Ovation was my first playboat. I bought mine in similar "almost new" condition and paid more than you did. I paddled it for two years then sold it for the same price I bought it for. I would have kept it but I was a little oversized for it. I like my new Outrage a lot more.