Looking for ideas for road trip out West

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Looking for ideas for road trip out West

Post by the great gonzo »

I have about 10 days off at university in about a week ~13 to 23th and would love to go on a paddling road trip with a few other people from our course.
What's running? Looking to run stuff up to ~ class 4 to 4+ stuff, within about 10 hours drive from Kamloops (Washington State, Northern Oregon, Southern and central BC, Western Alberta and maybe Northern Idaho and Northwestern MT).

If anyone wants to join, let me know!

Cheers!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

probably not going to find anything running in idaho right now. check the levels for washington. professorpaddle.com is a good place to meet folks there. white salmon always has water and everything from fun class III to big V on the green truss section.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Isn't it getting cold in the NW right about now?
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The water's cold in Oregon(bring drysuits), but there are generally a lot of great sunny days in October. The rains in Oregon don't really begin in earnest until November, so runs are pretty much at summer levels. For class III+ boating and up, the best choice is the White Salmon. Beautiful canyons, outstanding drops. I run the class III+ section, BZ to Husum, but lots of folks on pdxkayaker.org run and post trips for the upper sections. You may have to run them with buttboaters--most of the local OC1ers and C1ers just run BZ to Husum.

There's also good Class III action on the Clackamas River. This time of year we typically put in above Roaring River (a class III+ rapid) and paddle down to Bob's Hole--a run that includes many of the best class III rapids.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

As you already know, it's a decent time of year for some bigger rivers like the Thompson and Clearwater.

Depending on the flow/rain and what your group likes, you could maybe paddle the Nahatlatch (some people may try the Nahatlatch or go for the Thompson this weekend).

If you come to the coast, there's always enough flow for something on the Chilliwack, and probably the Cheakamus and the Squamish/Elaho, plus some creeks that I don't know much about, depending on rain. You could get in touch with the Vancouver Kayak Club for more info.

There's great rivers in the Kootenays. In particular I'm thinking of the White, but I don't know the details for flows or access.

Skykomish & Nooksack might be worth stops in N WA, but I'll let the WA, OR & ID details come from there. Milkman's OR videos look pretty appealing to me!

Let us know if you're around Vancouver and some people may join you.

Pat.

p.s. You'll see in your e-mail that I passed along inquiry to some other c-boaters in S. & interior BC. I'm sure you'll paddle with Sandy and some of others eventually.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions.
Looks like we might head down South to check out the white Salmon, or might do a bit of a road trip within BC to chech out some of the options there.
Does anyone know if the upper Fraser near Valemount is still good to go? Does anyone know gage to flow correlation for that river?

Cheers!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Martin

Post by jim gross »

Martin,

You should contact Richard Hopley (Obe One Kanube) on this one. He has done nurmerous Western Adventures.

Jim
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I know you're staying north of cali..and it's a good thing, because from now till the end of november it is DRY

Come on down here in the spring!
Larry
bradk
c

Post by bradk »

The upper fraser is pretty low these days. The raft run may be still good to go, the canyon may be a bit to low. There was some commentary on the Fraser level recently on www.calpaddle.com.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

So what is too low on the upper fraser?

TGG!
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Martin

There isn't much water in Eastern Washington or Idaho, except for the bigger rivers (Salmon). They are nothing special at this time of year. I don't know the rivers on the west side of the Cascades, but I'm sure that Milkman can provide some good ideas if you need more. If by chance you end up in the Portland or Hood River area (White Salmon, Clackamas, etc.) I might be able to drive over for a day or two depending on work. Let me know if you want company and when.

Marc
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

The canyon section of the fraser should be good,it's at 15 or so,the rest would be alright if you were heading to the Clearwater.That's what i suggest for BC,clearwater,thompson,natlahatch,stein are all runnin' and the weather in Lytton this weekend will be around +20.The fraser,probably -5.All the Kootney runs are done,shouldn't be missed in the summer though!As stated go to calpaddle for partners,info etc.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...