OC2 Questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chriscanoe
Pain Boater

OC2 Questions

Post by chriscanoe »

I am looking for a OC2 to take my oldest daughter paddling in.
She is 8. This would need to be a whitewater boat. Any ideas, or recomendations?
She weighs 60lbs
I weigh 180
She has no paddeling experience.
I have been paddeling for 20 years.
Would be looking to do the Chestatee, Etowah, Chattahoochee, Cartercay, Amicalola Creek, Nantahala, And Chattooga sect 3.
PBR ME ASAP!!
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

Look on the used boats... there is a Hydra Duet plastic C-2 in Knoxville TN for $200. I would highly recommend this boat for paddling with a youngster. My now 21 year old daughter started paddling at age 6 in our Duet, on class II+ and by 8 was running solid class III with me. It is very stable, obviously dry, the kid can reach the water much more easily than a conventional canoe with gunnels and they are sitting close enough that their weight is not much of a factor. You would feel like you are paddling solo with a little helper sitting in a rumble seat (except in front of you).
It's not the most elegant thing, performance wise on the river but you might even have fun paddling it with others and you will never out grow it entirely with your daughter. Can't beat the price!
Louie

Post by Louie »

I took an Encore and used a double ( not tripple saddel) and put it to where I was six inch back from where I would normally be. I always put the the saddle three inch back of the center line. Pscho and Chad won some tandom races in that boats and I was still usin it with my eight year old on the Ocoee till he went with with his own Teaureau.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I agree on "the pig" (Duet). 15'9" in lenght and 32" wide. The price is right too.
Extremely stable and kid friendly. Just make sure that the skirt can be easily pulled (or in the case of my kids - climbed out of - no skirt was that narrow when they started).
You can sit them in a small wave so that they are "surfing" while you are sitting on flat water. LOL
They can sit in the bow and use a C or a K paddle. K paddles are easier for kids to use and they tend not to drag them as much (they really are a training paddle).
Just remember to keep the kids warm, feed and watered (internally), keep the session short and fun, and stop for ice cream / treats afterward (paddle = treats = going more often).
My 11 yo daughter still likes to go in "the pig" just to hear the boof sound it makes over little drops! :wink:
I have 2 of them, in addition to a Gemini, and use them for boy scouts. Not too hard to carry if there is another adult around but can be done solo as well. The plastic is pretty durable if not left out in the sun!
Get them hooked now! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

The guy asked about an OC-2, not a C-2 ! By messing with the saddle positions, an OC-2 can be trimmed properly. A C-2 has non-movable cockpits.

I would say that some large "solo" whitewater boats like the OutrageX and the Prodigy X could be rigged for tandem use with an 8 to 10 year old. I could tandem an 8 year old in my MR Synergy, but there's no reason for a 15 foot boat just to carry a kid.
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

I've never paddled a Duet but judging by this picture it's pretty much awesome.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Okay - in defense of the C2 post.... Folks often limit choices based on personal experiences. I beleive he is looking for a good boat to introduce a youth to the WW ("Wonderful World") we love!
I am looking for a OC2 to take my oldest daughter paddling in.
She is 8. This would need to be a whitewater boat. Any ideas, or recomendations?
Seeing the Duet in the For Sale section at a very reasonable cost and this post's questions - it seemed like a logical option.

Of course there are a number of excellent OC2 (tandem open boats) out. 8) But they might be more expensive and harder to find!

Just trying to keep his options open! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Louie

Post by Louie »

I got a Hydra C-2 the one before they started puttin names on them, if he want to try one out.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I started my girls out in a Caper with a triple saddle. When they were little (2-4) I was in the middle with the child behind me. I just paddled it solo and gave them a short paddle to hold. Like Scott says, lots of breaks, favorite snacks, they get to pick the restaurant on the way home. When they got big I moved to the stern and put the child up front. Now my big one (14) is in a Probe 11 and the little one (9) has claimed my Zephyr.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

PAC, thanks for backing up the point of my post... chriscanoe, buying a $400 to 500 dollar used OC ANYTHING, installing saddles, worrying about trim (with a child that keeps growing) and later having to re-rig or recycle a boat... when that duet is a screaming deal! I live in OC's and my daughter went on to excell in open boats for cruising and slalom. My MAIN point about the Duet is still just how easy it is for a small person to reach the water, learn good basic form and have a great time. Open or not, it would be a excellent and inexpensive choice.
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

There was discussion about C-2ing with new paddlers a while back and we talked briefly about rolling... in that vein, two thoughts:
1. Could a sculling brace be used for a slow but extremely reliable C-2 or open boat roll? I know that I can lean out onto my paddle with all my weight while doing a sculling brace. Could that be incorporated into a roll for a boat that you'd otherwise have trouble with? That could make rolling a C-2 with a paddler who isn't helping out in the other seat do-able.
2. A C-2 instead of an OC-2 requires that the younger paddler be able to wet exit... that's probably no problem for an 8 year old but someone mentioned taking a 4 year old out in an open boat... might not want to do that in a C-2...
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Thanks for all the response's. I think that the intimidation factor of being in a c2, might rule that out for my eldest daughter, not to mention the fact that I hate packing myself into a C1. I'm not trying to develope her into a first class paddeler, just want to get her out on the water to give her a taste of ww.
PBR ME ASAP!!
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Try any tandem boat Dimension/Caption/Prodigy X, whatever. Just put the extra dry bags and picnic stuff up front to help trim the boat.The most important thing is that you both have fun together safely. then she will want to go out more often
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

chris, i think i'm in your area. the chestatee 60 to 400 is perfect for a first time. moving water with some easy rapids. a very pretty paddle through the woods.
when you get your boat and want to paddle, let me know
ps do you get on the hooch often?
paddlr
red boat ready
Kentuckycanoecycler
c

Caption with Triple Saddle.

Post by Kentuckycanoecycler »

I have a Dagger Caption with a triple saddle and a 6 and 4 year old that go with me. Have taken them both at once, and one at a time and it works great either way. I paddle solo and they drag their paddles thinking they are helping. Problem is I have trouble getting out of the house without them now! They love going. I put them up front so they catch all the waves coming over the bow and I usually intentionally trim it a bit bow light so that it really smacks the water going through the standing waves. The sound effects and laughter from them is priceless. Almost every trip someone tries to buy the Caption from me but I am not sure I will be able to ever sell it. Too many fun memories in it already. Watch Craigslist in your region and you will be surprised that you may find something reasonably priced that is perfect for you. Have fun!