Lookin' for New Paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Lookin' for New Paddle

Post by fleckbass »

Probably not going to be able to get a Backlund anytime soon, not interested in a Jimmy stick and don't want another Werner. I'm looking for a straight blade with good catch that may help promote good mechanics, ease of use and feel that may help reduce fatigue. I know. This would be the perfect paddle. Just tryin' to get some feedback to see if anything sticks out above the rest.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Endless River Phantom?

Link

Also, there's the GalaSport Magnum, not spooned but it has a dihedral and a defined power face, I'm not sure if that would fit with your intention in asking for a straight bladed paddle.

Link
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Clinch River or Mitchell
Louie

Post by Louie »

Clinch River is makin his last batch ( once again, sorta like a furnitur store goin out of business sale) you aren't in a big hurry are you?
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Well, I may be lookin for one soon. Any info on Clinch River?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

After having an extremely hard year on paddles (as many here remember - as it started at ALF) I finally ended up with one paddle that was left. Except for my stock of no longer (but still cherished) well used Backlund and Bailey Sticks (hmm - they're all wood too..). Out of all the Galasports, Lightnings, Werners, and even a Carlisle... the last remaining stick was an old wooden curved bladed Mitchell... It's held up and outlasted all the carbon shafted High-Dollar beauties I've owned. I went through (I believe) six different paddles this year, and if it wasn't for this (extra) spare-spare on my 4month out west excursion, I'd have been hurting.

As a result, I'm eagerly awaiting not only a new curved 'Wooden' (carbon faced) Mitchell, but also a 3-piece break down. They feel real good, and I believe they are reasonably priced for what you get. Plus I'm not going to put my self into other situation, where snapping another Carbon Shaft would be life threatening. Just MHO - but for me, they've held together better than any of the rest. And BTW - they can be refinished/repaired either at home, or back at Mitchell.

Yes, I may get another carbon shaft for slalom racing, and of course staying with a carbon bent-shaft for downriver. But not for when it counts.
Last edited by philcanoe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

Post by Louie »

865 986 9387 Ask for Bailey, tell him you want a GDI discount. He has like 7 different blade shapes and like 12 different Tee grip shapes. He has some over stocks, never any fan tail spoons, fan tails, or spoons. Over stocks are usually either rectaingles or ovals. He has all wood, carbon shalfs, carbon blades or both. If he has nuthin on the shelf you want and has to make you one tell him to jump you ahead of OC1King, he has already sent in a down payment and doesn't think he is ever goin to get it anyway so what is another six months or so.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I have not used a Bailey Stick, but heard nothing but good about them. That said ,I've been using a Mitchell curved premier ww paddle (all wood) for about 12 yrs now. Had it refinished and re-edged and a new metal tip installed once at their shop, it came back good as new for a reasonable cost. It has some flex to it which makes it easy on the shoulders and elbows, but I haven't broken it yet. I even had to use it to shovel out my stuck van on a snowy return trip from ALF. I bring a snow shovel with me to ALF now, just in case.
D-Caption
C Guru

re new paddles

Post by D-Caption »

Has any one tried the Echo creek stick or any of his other paddles. thanks D-Caption
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

There's a guy down by the Upper Yough that makes paddles who just did some wooden repairs for me and Gumpy. Paddles look great, with a bomber feel and no extra weight.
Proud Yankee
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

I have a mitchell all wood premium flat blade. I like it.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I have an Echo for several years now, love it, but think I would not mind a bit smaller blade it can move some serious water.
If you do get an Echo ask for a synthetic tip over his aluminum one, wears way better can not even compare.
The aluminum will mushroom and then forces the carbon or glass to split and next thing u know u have no tip. I went through 2 aluminum tips on this one before I got a synthetic tip and have seen others do it as well
I t is a great paddle that will bring u home
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I tried out an Echo paddle (not the creek stick) and loved the feel of it. They have a great reputation.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

when the aluminum tips on my Mitchells start to mushroom, I dress them down with a file and they never delaminate. Once they get thin they will fracture off. Then it is time to get them refinished.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

TonyB wrote:There's a guy down by the Upper Yough that makes paddles who just did some wooden repairs for me and Gumpy. Paddles look great, with a bomber feel and no extra weight.
Who?