Major Milestones and Players

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Major Milestones and Players

Post by CosmikDebris »

I've been incredibly bored at work and got to thinking about how passionate canoers are about their sport. I dare say canoers, as a group, are more committed to their masochistic ways and ignorant to the error of them than about any other group of people I've ever met. I'm not knockin' it, I'm just sayin.' I mean, I've tried for over a year to become a better kayaker, but when it comes down to it, I still prefer my C1 and still feel more comfortable in it (mentally, not physically of course). So in my attempt to deepen my daydreamstate at work, I'm trying to pin down some of the events and people throughout the history of whitewater canoeing that really represent this passion. I think this could be an interesting thread, especially with the depth of knowledge (read: all the old farts :o ) available on this forum. So...
What have been some of the major milestones of whitewater canoeing (and I mean OC and C, squirt, freestyle, fringe, monumental undertakings, etc...)?

What have been some design/materials changes that have shaped the future of the sport?

Who are the people that have driven this innovation/passion/craziness and deserve to be recognized for their hard work? Paddlers, Designers, Advocates, Activists, etc...

Also, what are people's thoughts on what drives this passion and keeps people climbing back in the saddle decades after decades. What drives people like Adam and Kenneth and Sara to build and maintain this archive of history and know-how for the thankless price of nothing? What drives people like Jeremy to be unhappy with the other boats they see out there and build their own? See what I'm getting at? I can't wait to hear the responses. Is there a Louie translator on hand that can help moderate this post? :roll:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Did you get one of phreon's DVDs? That's a good start.

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... =dvd#46654
Bob P
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

there is just something about bouncing off rocks thats keeps me coming back for more. 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Whitewater canoeing has been around far longer than whitewater kayaking Will.

Ever seen this? http://www.vimeo.com/3979402

This should be an interesting topic to watch... OC'ing has come a long ways in the past twenty years... and Jesse Sharp LIVES!!! :D
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I did see Kent's video at Gauleyfest, but, uh, I think the tequila shots at the esprit tent may have clouded my memory...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Can we have an ahem here brothers and sisters!!!

swimingmexican posted....
...there is just something about bouncing off rocks thats keeps me coming back for more.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Paul Mason & Mark Scriver publishing "Thrill of the Paddle" helped inspire my paddling.

Pat.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Paul Mason & Mark Scriver publishing "Thrill of the Paddle" helped inspire my paddling.
Right... Awesome pictures in this book too.

Bill mason, Paul's father was a canadian canoeist, naturalist and film producer that has also inspired generations of paddlers. Thanks to the NFB most of its productions are now available for free online viewing. Like waterwalker:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/waterwalker/

Marc.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

These boats would be on a list of whitewater canoeing milestones:
Grumman Aluminum
OCA Royalex
Sunburst Royalex

You can’t separate C-1 and OC-1 playboat development from kayaks.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Anything built by Kaz or Frankie. Two different schools, same result. Whitewater Perfection!
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

I didn't get to go to Frankie's funeral but my friend El Diablo did. He told me that Frankie's family had no idea what an impact he had on the paddling world. His boats paved the way for what we paddle now, both in boats and runs.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Had one of Frankie's designs (Viper 12) and met him once. Posted to the thread on BT about his passing. Got an email from the family thanking me for acknowledging his life. Said it all about Frankie and his family.

As for milestones:

The Bluehole OCA

Perception's GyraMax (Long live Jesse)

Mad River's Flashback

Whitesell's Pyrhana

Esquif's Taureau

Jury is out on the L'Edge!!!!!!!!!!!
Karl M. Nelson
c

Post by Karl M. Nelson »

For information about the history of whitewater boating, I recommend Sue Taft's book--The River Chasers.

Sue paddles an Ovation. It is yellow.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Other milestones are:

- All the Massive C1 and OC1's by Ian Thompson (Air, Departure and Groove). Some serious outside of the box thinking there. Definitely pushed the design envelope.

- The Ceemweaver by Jim Snyder. Brought Cquirt design to a new level.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well I think Mrs Sue Tate, book ain't that hot of a rescourse. she is from Ohio and the book looks a little light onin depth research.