Clinch River paddles info

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

D-Caption
C Guru

Clinch River paddles info

Post by D-Caption »

Anybody got any recent pics of Baileys all wood curved face canoe paddles you would like to post, thinking but gettin a new one. thanks D-Caption
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Are they different from what he made before his sabbatical?
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Re: Clinch River paddles info

Post by horizongfx »

D-Caption wrote:Anybody got any recent pics of Baileys all wood curved face canoe paddles you would like to post, thinking but gettin a new one. thanks D-Caption
I Think Bailey is working on his Last Batch of Paddles Right Now, I have Begged and Pleaded with him to build me another Fantail, but he insist he's retiring from building paddles Yet again.
Maybe if enough people show interest in getting paddles made He'll stop building shipping crates and Start building Beautiful Paddles again.

:(
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Louie

Post by Louie »

I talked to him the day before yesterday. I wouldn't say this is his last batch of paddles.
D-Caption
C Guru

Fan Tail paddles

Post by D-Caption »

What are the pros and cons of the fan tail paddle. Also if I GO TO A TWO INCH LONGER PADDLE will it give more leverage while rolling even though its mostly done with hip snap. Thanks D-Caption
Louie

Post by Louie »

no con all pros. The top part of the paddle is not often in the water so why have something that looks like a half a sheet of plywoon on the end of your shaft, and of couse it needs to be a spooned fan tail.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

I personally Like the Fantail Blade because it is very easy to Feather while in the water. and it seems easier on the shoulders, It has just as much surface are as a Spoon Blade but the magic is in how the surface area is distributed. farther up the shaft.
Last edited by horizongfx on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Fan Tail paddles

Post by philcanoe »

D-Caption wrote:What are the pros and cons of the fan tail paddle. Also if I GO TO A TWO INCH LONGER PADDLE will it give more leverage while rolling even though its mostly done with hip snap. Thanks D-Caption
1) less power & higher stroke rate -versus- lower stroke rate & more power

2) A longer paddle made my shoulder hurt - went shorter and it stopped.

2) It easy to find a longer paddle, to test that roll. If you have trouble finding one, ask any raft guide.

(Although it might make, the Miss's a bit happier.)
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Louie wrote:no con all pros. The top part of the paddle is not often in the water so why have something that looks like a half a sheet of plywoon on the end of your shaft, and of couse it needs to be a spooned fan tail.
I have to Disagree Louie, I have used spoons Most of My Paddling Life and I see little to No advantage of a Spooned Fantail Vs a Non Spooned Fantail, and Like Bailey says " You get a more even wear out of a Non spooned fantail, and You don't have to worry about which way your Holding the Paddle.
:wink:
...........O
......(___|/____)
D-Caption
C Guru

fan tail vs conventional

Post by D-Caption »

I have used spooned curved face paddles for the past three years and have grown to like them a lot and most likely wont change, butone thing I have noticed. If there is no difference then why do Slolam racers insist on using curved face without the fan tail, maybe some of them do but most dont from what I have seen at races and on videos. Just sayin...I dont mind trying the fan tail but I SE EM TO GET MORE POWER FROM THE CURVE OR SPOON FACE. Also does anyone know about how much a 56 in paddle ia a med weight that bailey builds weighs. thanks D-Caption
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well have you ever wonder why he uses a Fan tail spoon? Just askin.
D-Caption
C Guru

spoon vs flat face

Post by D-Caption »

Personal prefence, I tink I would rather have more power per stroke than less power and faster stroke rate. When we all end up in the same eddie anyway so what if I have to make a few more strokes, I need the exercise anyway. Thanks for everyones input, its been a big help. Catch ya in the eddie. D-Caption
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

for some interesting thoughts on the subject, check this out, from jim snyder's page:

http://www.rivrstyx.com/html/short_reads.html

specifically,

http://www.rivrstyx.com/html/stroke_theory.html

this stuff is far from 'conventional' or 'race' wisdom, but it makes good sense to me. its certainly something to think about....
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
edg
C Guru

Fantail

Post by edg »

The photos look almost identical to what's hanging in my garage- A classic "square" Gala slalom paddle and a a curved "triangular" Gala wildwater blade that appears almost identical in shape and dimension to the Bailey fantail (which is sweet!). Why the difference- in slalom, the paddler is going all out for, these days, 90 seconds or so. In wildwater, you go all out for about 20 minutes, and all day river running. I think the fantail shape is also better in shallow water, where most of the classic shape is out of the water. As I've aged, my preferences have changed. I used to want a blade like a snow shovel. Now I seem to be able to get by with a shorter shaft and smaller blade. I was influenced by some French dude who said you don't want a big paddle you can only pull on at 80% effort: you want a smaller blade you can pull on with 100% effort. Either way, you'll have fun testing it out...edg
Louie

Post by Louie »

Ya what he said, maybe it is the shallow part. Fan tail spoon work best for me.