Slalom nationals - where?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cadster
CBoats Addict

Slalom nationals - where?

Post by cadster »

Eli's question got buried and the committe page says their deciding now.

See http://ocs.whitewater-slalom.us/oc-2010n.htm

Any news?

Eli wrote:Perhaps after the first 1/2 half of ALF a few canoers might be interested in the Locust Fork Classic Slalom Race which kicks off NAWF?

For that matter, any news about the MFCKR Race/National OC slalom the week before ALF?
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

yeah, where and when are slalom nationals for 2010? Thanks.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Whose turn is it... Minden's or Wausau's? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Nationals Update:

A decision has not yet been made regarding open boat nationals for next year. The website that is referenced is just the usual schedule we folllow if we get bids submitted by then, but when the committee doesn't have any bids to review it's kinda hard to make any decision. We have had several inquiries, a few leads, and are awaiting on official bids. Keep checking the website as once a decision is made it will get posted. I will also post here once we know.

Thanks,

Natalie Thomas
ACA Open Canoe Slalom Nationals Chairman
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

granted I'm in no position to submit an official bid...but considering there are no official bids, would it be helpful if we encouraged maybe our local whitewater club to apply if we know of a potentially suitable site?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Did I say yes?
Where? Lehigh? Tohickon?

Jkaz
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Yes, Yes, Yes, open canoe nationals in Pennsylvania!

I'm going to ask around Lehigh Valley Canoe Club, Philadelphia Canoe Club and a few others around PA to see if there is interest.

If you have contacts with groups in PA, lets get a bid submitted...Lehigh, Tohickon....maybe the Stoneycreek Slalom/Playpark near Johnstown...

The Pennsylvania Organization of Watershed and River along with local groups do a sojourn on the Lehigh every year and secure camping spots along the way... so even though there is no huge campground along the river, there are plenty of places to accommodate 100-200 campers that are riverside, which is usually the attendance on their sojourn anyway.

Spread the word.
kaz

Post by kaz »

Is there ample parking for 50-100 cars?
4-5 days of water for practice and racing?

Jkaz
kaz

Post by kaz »

markzak,
Something to present to the potential race organizers. hosting the Nationals is a great way for a club to make a couple thousand dollars.
JKaz
raven3693
c

Make 2 thousand off Nationals ... NO WAY!!!

Post by raven3693 »

THat is a dying sport ... come now
Two thousand no way!
The only spectators are like friends, competitors and their family
The people who run it are killing it in their old ways and almost a class for everyone to win in.
Out of all of North America u get what 100 people competing???
Not that it would ever be a big event.
One can barely get C! in Olympics, i think lawn bowling gets the nod ahead of it.
IF money was being made you wouldn't struggle for bids!!!

LETS HOPE ITS NOT IN PA
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

raven, you make some accurate points, namely the turnout is never what we would hope for. have you ever attended? i would be curious to know... it is a great time and huge skill builder. the rest of north america is missing out. you are correct, the spectators are mostly family and friends. frankly, if i didn't know much about the sport, it would be boring to watch. such is the nature of sports that are fun to do but not that exciting to watch.
i don't get why 50,000 people would want to watch a football game where there is only about 7 minutes of action (the ball in motion) in 1 hour. many of us who participate regularly would like to see fewer classes but the intent was to include everyone, skilled and not so skilled. a majority of participants do not place (or win) in any class.
travelling from montana, i have been to 8 nationals and hosted one. regarding kaz's comments about making money on the event. in 2004, when i hosted after a CA. organizer bailed with less than 7 weeks to go, i made $600. i was only trying to break even and felt it was more important to provide the usual bootie and meal, etc. i fell into an oppurtunity for a gourmet type meal offered by a nearby guest ranch. that and a band did not come cheap, was not neccessary but i think most in attendance, enjoyed it. if i had had closer to a year to plan the event (which in a few more years should be the case) I have no doubt I could make $2,000.
it will never be a BIG event, which would be fine with me. i have concerns about the health of oc slalom but i think (and hope) some of your comments are off base and premature.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

OC Slalom rocks. It's a lot of fun.

I agree it needs way fewer classes. The number of classes should at least be cut in half.

Also, the the health of the sport is actually decent. If you look at the number of people that enter it is about the same now as it was in the mid 90's.

It would be nice to get a bigger turnout and more younger competitors. The sport will suffer in about 10 years when all of the current people in their 40's and 50's quit coming.

I will say I have seen more new young people enter into whitewater canoeing in the last year than I have in about 10 years.

PS- Where will the Nationals be this year? I need to get it on my calendar. Someone needs to get their official bid in
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

There are bids being reviewed for 2010... I've heard.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Back to square one as the one official bid we had has been rescinded.
We have been promised another bid and that it should arrive shortly. Still waiting . . .

Natalie
Louie

Post by Louie »

Havin watched one I can say it is a hellva lot better than rodeo. However from a stecator stand point it isn't near as fun to watch as the Huck fest at baby falls or watchin at Gorilla durin the green race. I mean as far as just watchin there is a big difference in seein a screw up involve hittin a stick and watchin someone swim off of a 12 or 20 foot drop. Are they ever held somewhere more exciting than that man made ditch in Wisconson, now if you hung gate thru bowlin alley on the North Chick or Chiness Arimatic on the Dry of the Piegon, now that would send the people watchin home with sumthin to talk about. It ain't that it is dead but if you ain't takin part in it it ain't that great to watch Not that I would ever be good enought to race thru those sticks, or would want too unless there were a required safety break half way down the course.