who wears gloves?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Level 6 mittens, if they still make them. Pretty thin and grippy. and they have a soft furry spot for wiping your nose.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Gloves desensitize you to the paddle grip, there is no getting around it. But this problem can be controlled by 1) getting the right pair of gloves, and, just as importantly, 2) wear the gloves enough so that you adapt to them and get used to the feel.

Be kind to your hands :wink: .

I have been wearing a glove on my paddle shaft hand over 20 years of boating to protect that hand from abuse. I lost the use of my left hand for 3 months when the skin was sheared off during an upside down run through the Cribworks on the Penobscot :evil: . Then I banged it up bad on the Upper Gauley a year later :x . So now I wear a glove almost routinely and the hand is happy despite some sharp scrapes and bangs on rocks over the years - the glove now takes the abuse. Ahhhhh :D .

On cold days or in snowmelt I wear gloves on BOTH hands and if it is really cold I will wear a thin liner inside the glove.

The shaft hand is the one closest to the water so it gets chilled faster than the T-grip hand. Often I can keep my T-grip hand gloveless in very cold water if the sun is out. The T-grip hand DOES need more sensitivity than the shaft hand because you control fine blade angle with the T-grip. So I feel the desensitization most when I need to wear a glove on my T-grip hand.

Wearing ONE glove makes a lot of sense.

So, for crimeney sakes, WHAT gloves am I using... the NRS Rapid Gloves. I get them slightly big to accomodate a liner. They are inexpensive ($25), protect the back of my hand, provide sufficient warmth, adequate grip and I don't notice the desensitization that much. But this comes from long-term use. They wear out in about a year with 50 uses or so.

Larry, we've talked about this on the river. Get a glove that comes closest to your requirements and then USE the glove enough so that you get accustomed to the feel.

SYOTR,

Bruce
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

too funny bruce. we are the EXACT oppisite. you don't like a glove on the t grip and i don't like a glove on the shaft hand.
But then...you paddle on the wrong side, that right there proves your all screwed up :wink:

..too bad we both like the left glove. otherwise we could save some dough by splitting the cost on pairs.
Larry
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Crimeney!
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Does anyone know if there are a pair of two finger mittens avaible out there anywhere. The MEC gloves I use are so thick my hands have to hold the paddle with a Death Grip! And the Gul gloves I have are way too thin! I was also thinking of using the Gul gloves under a pair of pogies. Has anyone else tried this?
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

plumb... do you sometimes grip the paddle useing two fingers? i often use this method on the tee grip to cut down on the twist to my wrist.
paddlr
red boat ready
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

I've always paddled with all four fingers split evenly over the t-grip. I noticed three finger dive mitts allow the index finger to be covered by it's self. I would be concerned with the amount of control you would have over the paddle. Has anyone used these?

Getting back to the original thread... I normally use a pair of 2mm Gul gloves. They give lots of paddle control and are super grippy. However, the last three times I've paddled, twice in December and once in January, with temperautres that had rose to around 22 degrees F, My hands freakin froze!!!!