who wears gloves?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

who wears gloves?

Post by Larry Horne »

just wondering if anyone has found GOOD gloves for the cold.
I have tried multiple nrs gloves and some neoprene gloves but I can't stand to wear them because they are slick or too bulky or too thick and spongey. I finally just cut the palm out of the shaft hand on my nrs gloves so i can feel the paddle. Jury's sill out on that experiment.
Larry
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

I don't like gloves, I can't feel the paddle and my hands are colder with them on. I like pogies, but only use the T-grip one when its really cold. 8)
Louie

Post by Louie »

girls.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

google G-Tek Maxiflex 34-874 gloves. I have been using them for about a year. They are a poly fabric back with some kind of ruberized palm surface. They are not the warmest but you can pick up a dime off a concrete floor with them on. An HVAC guy turned me on to them. He used them for their good tactile ability and the fact that sheet metal shards wouldn't cut through them. They are about $2.85/pr in dozens on-line. Best "paddling" glove I've ever worn. Of cours, the butt boaters will laugh at you because they don't recognize the brand name.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Larry; pm me your shipping addy and I'll send you a pair to try.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Well, not just gloves...

Post by Al Donaldson »

(Currently -5 degrees (F) in Iowa, and we're not paddling today.)

But, we do paddle most of the year over here when we can break through the ice, and I've found that a pair of surplus (Swiss) military glove covers (actually look like huge o.d. mittens) over a pair of wool glove liners will work down to air temps in the 20s, and much lower with a pair of wool mittens inside.

The glove covers do the water- and wind-proofing and the wool gloves or mittens inside takes care of the insulation. The glove covers are waterproof as much as anything I've seen (i.e. not totally but pretty darn good.)

These work well for canoe paddling, as the shell is quite flexible and gives excellent paddle "feel," unlike most of the kayaking gloves and mitts, which are thick enough and rough enough in palm texture to make paddle position more of a guess than a certainty.

These will never be popular, though, as they are inexpensive.

Oh, well.

Both the shell and inserts (glove style):
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/SW0501

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

When I first started I wore gloves I did not want cold hands and wore them all season I stop wearing them in late March this year. Now I do not loose my paddle if I fall in. I put on gloves 2 week ago because I figure it was cold. I could not feel the paddle and took them off in less than 2 mins paddle was slippery. It does get cold here and if I do the New years run I may wear them
Standingman
Pain Boater

Post by Standingman »

I wear pogies (CKS) is the brand,I also have Hydroskins gloves. I think the pogies work best. Had them on at 17degrees. 8)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

yes...

....but you probably wouldn't want them. I'm fine in those gorilla hand shaped wal-mart specials.... for me they have just the correct amount of curved shape, the same shape as my hand on the paddle and t-grip... and luckily they are real cheap... I don't really swap hands or change grip, so they work ok... and are real warm

and yes they are bulky, thick, and rather inflexible; however they are glued up in the proper orientation for my hands... I'm not trying to change grip, open or close either hand, pick up anything, nor grab-the-gunwales
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

only tried gloves (nrs) once. once my hands got wet, they stayed wet. and cold.
tried a buddy's pogies on a cold day... we argued over who could wear them for the rest of the day (kinda, but we all agreed...
my vote is pogies)
Last edited by oc1paddlr on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddlr
red boat ready
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I don't like gloves and only wear them when it's real cold (40f) or colder, or when I think it's likely that I'm gonna get banged up on rocks. I use a wooden paddle,it's warmer to hold in bare hands. When I need them I use windsurfing mittens; they are made of 1/8" neoprene with no palms for good feel, or I have a pair of fingerless fleece gloves with lightweight neoprene palms.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Many years ago, I used NRS mittens. They were far warmer than individually-fingered gloves and surprisingly flexible. I haven't tried the NRS Toaster Mitts.

But, for the last 25 years I've used homemade neoprene pogies. Great down to 20F, if ocassionally my thumb gets a little cold. The pogies are tight enough on the shaft so that my lower hand stays pretty dry too. A pain to put on though.

My Pogies
Bob P
angelamsig
C Boater

Post by angelamsig »

Playtex Living Gloves, the pink kind without the fuzzy liner. No kidding! Cheap and available in your local drug or grocery store. Fantastic grip, great wind protection. No insulation but would probably work with a thin glove liner. I think now they also come in purple.

Angie
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i've been using the nrs rescue gloves for the last month or so. i also tried on the fusion gloves--couldnt' move my hands at all in those. the rescue gloves have a much better feel, in my opinion. i'm still not crazy about wearing gloves at all, but w/ these i can actually still use my hands, and i've kept pretty warm so far. i've heard folks say that pogies are warmer, but i like being able to keep my hands warm while coiling a rope or doing things other than paddling. i believe the gloves are still on sale too.

( http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... deptid=944 )
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Nora

Post by Nora »

I have to say Cheajack is right about G Flex gloves. I get them from work and use them when it's just moderately cold, 40 degrees or so. I have a friend that uses them windsurfing and we both use them for kiting. So far I haven't found much difference in neoprene gloves other than the amount of flexibility and the price. They all seem to wear out quickly so I opt for cheaper ones that work...Stearns neoprene gloves have worked just fine and you can buy them fairly cheap. The grip is good and flexibility is great. About $18 a pair.