OC1 for a buttboater on the way to reform

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

OC1 for a buttboater on the way to reform

Post by TNbound »

First off, I am new to the forum and very happy to find a community of cboaters on the web, so hello to everyone! :D

Second,
I am just starting to move into whitewater canoeing from kayaking. I run up to class IV rivers in my kayak (so far) pretty comfortably, and am hoping to progress more next season in both kayak and canoe. I picked up an old Mad River ME used and cheap for my first open boat this fall but didn't have much of a chance to paddle before the cold weather really set in. I was wondering if I would be better off in a canoe that would be closer to what I am used to in a kayak (i.e. shorter, with harder chines) while getting into the sport. My kayak now is a Pyranha Inazone 240, and it is looking like it would be a lot easier for me to switch over if I was in something more like a spanishfly. Is there any real logic in my argument?
Thanks in advance for any help!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

An ME is a great boat, it was my first whitewater boat. 12 years later I got my second one, but to use as a tandem boat with my kids. You would probably have more fun paddling a smaller solo boat. You MIGHT find a less edgy (*) boat a little bit easier to manage during the transition, but you'd get past that quickly - go for something with a sharper chine. A Spanish Fly is an awesome boat (got one, too) but certainly not the only boat that would fit the bill. The Leedge certainly looks interesting...

* oh, boy, that could start another multi-page thread to argue the definition thereof
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

"Paging Mister Michael Lewis... Mister Lewis there's some fresh meat in your backyard" :lol:

j/k :wink: Welcome to the forum.
some dork wrote:The Leedge certainly looks interesting...
oh goody :roll:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

welcome TnB...

I'd suggest testing out a couple, you have a boat that'll help you get the basic forward and offside strokes. It will be a bit hard to control at first due to size, and not being familiar with the one sided acspect.... but a ME is mighty forgiving.

where you located?
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I am located in Maine. Tennessee is my favorite playground so far, for whitewater and otherwise, thus the forum name!

So far the hardest part about paddling the ME is remembering I have 15 feet of boat to fit between rocks/turn instead of the 7 I have in a kayak. I was getting good with my various strokes/braces before winter shut me down. I could also roll the boat when I managed not to fall out, as the outfitting is somewhat lacking. I will be fixing it up this winter though, and getting it ready for the spring season!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

any snowbirds around....

does he need to worry about backing out the gunwale screws???
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

tons of options out there check out the mohawk site good boats mail order direct good prices

www.mohawkcanoes.com
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

TNbound wrote:I am located in Maine. Tennessee is my favorite playground so far, for whitewater and otherwise, thus the forum name!

So far the hardest part about paddling the ME is remembering I have 15 feet of boat to fit between rocks/turn instead of the 7 I have in a kayak. I was getting good with my various strokes/braces before winter shut me down. I could also roll the boat when I managed not to fall out, as the outfitting is somewhat lacking. I will be fixing it up this winter though, and getting it ready for the spring season!
Make sure you come to ALF 2010
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

2opnboat1 wrote:tons of options out there check out the mohawk site good boats mail order direct good prices

www.mohawkcanoes.com
I have seen mohawk canoes, and the Maxim intrigued me. Pretty edgy looking, short, slow... It seems just like my kayaks! :lol:

What is this ALF 2010? If it involves some good boating and a road trip, I might just be in!
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

2 recommendations:

1) Try a spanish fly (you'll like it based on your criteria)

2) Come to ALF (Ain't Louie Fest) It's in east TN every march. Usually around 100 open boaters (it gets bigger every year) come to east TN and camp for 5-9 days and run II-V rivers. There are different trips for different skill levels every day based on water levels. You will meet tons of canoers, get to try every canoe under the sun and most importantly get to run some great rivers and creeks (march is the best month for boating in TN)
Louie

Post by Louie »

Most of us have more than one boat and are always willing to let you try out as many as you like.
Your ME can be used on a lot of river down here where the lenght won't be that big of an issue. Obed, BSF
We always had wooden gunnels and we never lossened the screw and had no problem.
We boat a lot down here all year long no real season just one long one so prepare you SO for it.
If we end up likein you we will kid you a lot and give you hades a lot so if you are thin skined be careful.
Remember Tennessee is the longest state East of the Mississippii so if you aren't in the Eastern part of the sate or the Eastern part of the middle of the state you won't have over a hundred runs within in an hour of your home.
Welcome come with a good attitude and thick skin and you will be in whitewater heaven.
After the new boat hits the market their will be a buttload of used boats out there for sale.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Gunwale Screws...

Post by Al Donaldson »

philcanoe wrote:any snowbirds around....

does he need to worry about backing out the gunwale screws???
I've seen many royalex boats (in the colder parts of the world, like Iowa or Maine) crack into lots of small shards when the wooden gunwale screws are not loosened for (unheated) winter storage. Ig the ME has wooden gunwales and is royalex, it'd be good to loosen them up.

Folks down south don't have quite the same temperature profile, so Louie is correct in his comment (for his area!)

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

Welcome TNbound;

I too live in Maine and have a couple of OC1s that you are welcome to try if you have open water near you.

Al and Phil make good suggestions to back the screws out if you keep the ME stored in an unheated area. I keep all of my wood railed royalex canoes indoors during the winter to prevent the possibility of cold cracks in the royalex. My composite canoes remain in the unheated vault for the winter.

I migrate to TN in March for ALF as well. There is no finer location or group of paddlers to run spectacular creeks in just as our northern waters expose themselves again. Send me a PM and we may able to meet to paddle if a thaw occurs.

C well,

Kevin
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Welcome Tnbound,

You definitely need another boat for playboating but if you can, keep the ME! It is a great expedition boat, forgiving and quite fast, kind of easy to handle (for a 15 feeter solo!) you can throw two weeks worth of gears in there easily.

I have one I still use a lot use for fishing/WW multi-day trips, and for playing with the kids too!

You'll find in canoeing a challenging and rewarding new way to look at the rivers.

C ya!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

more on the ME ...

Makes a great tandem boat, for when the other is a complete novice. You can throw almost anyone in, and go have fun. Have taken adept dates (G'friends) down the Ocoee and Sec IV (Chattooga), on their 2nd or 3rd trips.