Open boaters on the Usk, south Wales

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Open boaters on the Usk, south Wales

Post by ezwater »

Check out these shots of Brits running class 2 in winter, on the Usk in Wales. Properly boated and equipped, doing well. "Canadian" canoeing has gotten much more popular over there.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... on-the-Usk
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Good stuff, looks like the kind of levels that would have GDI salivating wildly :P

I'll have to post some north wales stuff up (assuming I ever get photos that is).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Interesting to see the Zoom is being paddled as a C1...Decks all panelled in with a spraydeck fitted...
Louie

Post by Louie »

nuthin wrong with paddlin class I rivers we need sumthin to train the kids on. Now about the level if we were there we would paddle it even at low water. It is more important to paddle than be a level snob. One day last week the Conasauga at three feet ( too high) the next day same river at one foot and a good time was had at both levels. It is easy too set across the big pond and make fun of a group and the levels they run river at and another thing to come run the river with that group aabd see that they run at all levels. We know you can do one of the above when are you goin to do the other?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:) Hey Louie, here's a run in Scotland that you'll like. A GDI special.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... bber-ducky
Louie

Post by Louie »

looks good but cold. I would do it.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ezwater wrote::) Hey Louie, here's a run in Scotland that you'll like. A GDI special.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... bber-ducky
I suddenly find it ironic I've run it at about that level (and several lfeet higher, it was "somewhat less mellow"), it's about the only low water river in scotland, has a 25 footer though. When you coming over :P

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Louie

Post by Louie »

wELL my company EnergySolutions is heavily involved with a lot of nuclear plants in England so who knows. Any pictures of the 25' footer?
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

that scottland run looks like a blast .... wish i had a way to get my skeeter over there

and that WooZ setup like a C1 is interesting
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Louie wrote:wELL my company EnergySolutions is heavily involved with a lot of nuclear plants in England so who knows. Any pictures of the 25' footer?
Ooooh, well if you hear anything about Wylfa A/Trawsfynydd decommissioning or the construction of Wylfa B; you'd be in my neck of the woods and you're welcome to come boating/drop in for some beers.

The river in question is the Middle Etive (3/4) the big fall is Eas an Fhir Mhoir (Translates as "Big Man's Falls") more commonly called "Right Angle" due to its run in.

Video of Jon Lovell running it in his first prelude here.[/url]

Louie

Post by Louie »

Well the approach looked a little skeetchy, the level looked good however and that is my type of drop. I'll do it.
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

i'm planning a trip tu the Uk,was wondering where can i rent a open boat or c-1and gear.Love to paddle a couple of the rivers over there,class3-4.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Louie

Post by Louie »

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Some people from this site have offered to lend me a boat. If you are as trust worthy as me I'd say they might do you the same.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Good stuff, looks like the kind of levels that would have GDI salivating wildly :P
this link

....you sure that shouldn't be directed at the lengthy guy or the long2-boater.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

oc ender wrote:i'm planning a trip tu the Uk,was wondering where can i rent a open boat or c-1and gear.Love to paddle a couple of the rivers over there,class3-4.
You won't be able to rent an OC1, nor will any outfitter provide you with a traditional open canoe to take on real whitewater.

Where were you thinking of going in the uk and when? I might be able to lend you some kit and a boat myself.

As a last minute thought one of the shops did have a demo-remix that was temporarily converted to a C1 with a dagger saddle by the owner's brother, but I don't know if its still like that or if they'd let you take it out; and unless they cut you a deal I imagine the rental costs (it's £20 a day, but techincally includes as many boats from the fleet as you want to try on the nearby artificial course that day) would be pretty steep.

Also of interest to you is that Virgin Atlantic will allow you to bring a C1 and kit across on the plane at no extra cost, just notify them that you'd like to take advantage of their sporting goods allowance for your "kayak".