c1 skirt question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

c1 skirt question

Post by gumpy »

does anyone know if a regular kayak skirt will fit a remix79 conversion? saddle about 7 1/2" forward of rim. it's my first conversion boat, i don't own a skirt, should i just get a custom one? thanks.
Joe
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

A custom C1 skirt would do better for sure. But the cockpit rim is standard and if you find a used one for cheap it might work kinda OK, especially if it is neoprene only (they stretch better to accomodate for the position shift).
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Cumnock
Proprietor - Walden's Ridge Whitewater

Post by Cumnock »

A custom skirt is the way to go so you can get the right tunnel to fit. C-1 and K-1 skirts are different when it comes to fit.

John Mason is up and running at Mountain Surf and VERY canoe friendly.

Tell you want a red handle dur-a-ring. Kelvar model.

He will walk you thru the rest.

For a few more dollars you can get the best skirt made,and we aren't talking that much more either.

I'm not sponsored by John. I've used his skirts for 20 plus years.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Try an off the shelf skirt first - I've never needed a custom skirt and I've paddled 5 or 6 conversions over about 10 years. Other folks have had similar experience, though, those may have been larger paddlers who might set things up a little further back. Can't hurt to try. YMMV.
Cumnock
Proprietor - Walden's Ridge Whitewater

Post by Cumnock »

I've never needed a custom skirt and I've paddled 5 or 6 conversions over about 10 years
$ 20 more bucks you can have one that truly fits.

I'm not knocking off the shelf. But if I played golf and could get custom clubs for almost the same price and not made in China. I think I would pick up the phone. Same Difference.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

My experience with off the shelf skirts was mixed.
It seems to nmatter what type of water one runs.
They worked in low volume stuff. As soon as I hit big volume like the Ottawa the off the shelf skirts imploded, due to the compromized fit, all the time. Since I switched to custom skirts that problem has been solved.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Joe,
I own three skirts made by Mountain Surf. They are the shiznit! For real.
I also own a Snapdragon C1 specific skirt that is fine for my conversion.

The trouble with a Kayak skirt is the tunnel is too far twards the rear by 4-6 inches. This causes the skirt to pull off during a tight forward tuck while rolling. This results in a flooded boat and likely a swim or a very deep mystery move. 8)
You really need a C1 specific skirt if you're gonna' stick with the Remix.

Just my 2 bucks worth. :D

Mick
coloradopaddler
C Guru

thanks for the post!

Post by coloradopaddler »

thanks for posting this question. It made me get my skirt out and try it on my remix 79 conversion. I have a bomber gear kevlar skirt that i've used on conversions before. it is super tight to get on any boat but the tunnel fit fine. the front of my back rest is about 7.5" from the inside of the cockpit rim. my skirt rides over the back rest and isn't tight at all. it is tight as a drum in front of me so leaning forward won't be an issue at all. i would think you could find a regular kayak skirt that would work just as well, with your saddle placement.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

interesting topic. I had bad luck with a standard skirt on an X. It would pull off the back when I tucked to roll, so I've been using custom skirts since then. On the other hand, my friend always uses off the shelf skirts with no problems at all. I would say if you have a standard skirt, use it... but really test it out so you don't end up swimming like the rest of us :wink:
But if you need to buy a skirt anyways, just get a custom one. The extra cost is minimal. Another cool thing they do on the c1 skirts is they make the tunnel longer, since the skirt is worn lower in a c1 than in a kayak. So it should be a little dryer. As others have said, you can't go wrong with Mountain Surf.
Larry
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

A little off this particular post I know, but I'm only asking for a quick answer not trying to change the subject. I'm an open boater but recently acquired an old pheonix slipper c1 in excellent shape but skirt is rotting away. I need to buy a new skirt. As cheap as possible as I'm only really going to use the boat for a fun change of pace a couple times a year. Where do I look? I do want new it just doesn't need to be super fancy or anything, like $100 bucks would be cool. You guys seem to know skirts so any help would be great. Please knowone mention to Louie that I'm in the market for a skirt, I doubt he'll read a skirt post. :roll:
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

I've been getting skirts from Skirtworks in Friendsville. Great folks and quality products.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Skirts

Post by OC1er »

I say custom is the way to go. It sucks to get creamed then roll up to find yourself with a boat full of water. I got to experience that in Bodysnatcher on the Doe, truly sucky. I went with SkirtWorks thru Briere at Wakawai.com, got excellent customer service throughout. They asked for a tracing of my cockpit with seat-placement dimensions and they built me an outstanding product, it is amazingly dry and has stayed firmly in place. Highly recomend!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Lengthy wrote:...Where do I look? I do want new it just doesn't need to be super fancy or anything, like $100 bucks would be cool. You guys seem to know skirts so any help would be great. Please knowone mention to Louie that I'm in the market for a skirt, I doubt he'll read a skirt post. :roll:
Mums the word. Look for an off the shelf slalom skirt - there is some variation on size, but older will more likely be smaller and possibly closer to a Slipper. You could try Davey Hearn (http://www.daveyhearn.com/) for new or used if you can't find one local. Snapdragon, Skirtworks, and Moutain Surf should all have patterns for that boat, too.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Thanks.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

just ordered one from the nice folks at skirtworks in friendsville. they even had one already in stock! thanks everyone.
Joe