A new KIND of race...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

mattm
C Guru

that's a sprint

Post by mattm »

so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Is that a solely flatwater race? whats the Yukon all about?
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

read it again...Andrew described things quite well I thought. No mention of gonads or campfires though :wink:
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

If you want to design & coordinate a race like that, and you don't know about the other variations, yet, you've got a lot research to do about what goes into it, from sponsorship, safety, etc. Better start talking to some of the other organizers to see what their teams put into it.

Mixing a long-distance race with class V is pretty crazy. I'll bet you can find a lot more canoeists who can tough it out in the wilderness and start fires in the rain than can run class V (or IV) in their canoes! I guess if read "Class V" as "portages" though, fine, but you've got a load of work ahead finding a place for this to happen, and finding people to support it and participate in it.

The challenge is getting the first ones going. I'd say I'm not likely at all to spend my time doing a race like that, but if it catches on and lasts a while, maybe I'd eventually be tempted.

Good luck,

Pat.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Thats a good idea, check out the other similar long distance races and see whats all involved.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

thekrikkitwars wrote: "a 20 ft sea kayak is a lot faster than even a 20 ft open canoe, yet can be handled with suprising aplomb on even relatively tight whitewater... "

I might not be te technically best, not the fittest and not the most experienced boater at all, and I don't think about myself as being a great heroine, great paddler or whatever, don't get me wrong.

For touring I ride a wenonah advantage. let's forget about maximum speed, but on the long distance (let's say 50 - 150 km, what you make in one day) in this boat I can keep up the travel speed as most male seakayakers - as a woman!!! And I am still keeping the daily distance record of our canoe club wich is currently about 100 miles - a kayaking friend and me in OC1 set this record. I use a kind of spray deck for the whole boat, so I can pull trough waves without filling in. Despite the fact of wind and that I couldn't roll it, this kind of boat is very seaworthy. But the advantage is no pure blood racing canoe, so imagine the abilities of a pure racing boat - it won't be easy to run, but when skilled enough, you get them all ;)

Well, all I want to say is, on the long run a canoe CAN be a concurrence to a kayak.
Look for the book "canoe racing" by peter heed and dick mansfield, they also describe whitewater downriver races.

@FullGnarlzOC: To me, it seems you would "discriminate" performance athletes, please let me say a few words.

1) We might not have all the same attitude (I don't like the attitude of some slalomists and/or buttboaters myself), but we are all paddlers, brothers and sisters in mind and soul.We are different, but no one is worse or better than the other just because of his/her way of paddling. The only thing that matters is that we do it with fun and passion and in friendship, respect and harmony with nature and our friends.
2) And please don't underestimate the physical and mental skills a freestyler or slalomist or downriver racing athlete has to bring!
Ever tried to run a hard whitewater parcours with time pressure and the need to hit the line within precision of les than inches? It's an extreme challenge, requiring muscle strength, absolute body and boat control, water reading skills and nerves made of steel (or kevlar-carbon-composites, like our slalom boats). I don't know about class 5/6, but compared to normal whitewater, it feels more difficult. I'm becoming slalomist myself and do know what I'm talking about - one who can face sucha challenge and who passes an international slalom parcours is so not a fairy.
Prove: Look at Alex Grimm, current olympic winner in K1 slalom - except the slalom parcours, he had never ran more than a class 3 whitewater before they sent him on the sickline race which is being said a class 5/6 - and guess what? He won - his nerves, fitness and technique from all these slalom training and races made him leave many experienced whitewater experts behind!
For freestyle, ever tried to do a phoenix monkey or aerial loop in a freestyle OC1/C1? I tried, I failed, it requests a nothing less than perfect technique and lots of time excercising.
Last edited by insolence on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

this years yukon race fyi.
http://www.yukonriverquest.com/
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

you mean an easy form of this?
http://www.yukonriverquest.com/

perhaps you might like to look up tribe-riders? :lol:
here's an example
http://paddleblogs.com/stevefisher/tag/tribe-riders/
Petite Mecatina, that's some serious boating
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

well, we gots to git mo' MANLY, ar ar, git back to our MANLY roots as it were....ar ar :roll:

This area looks promising, starting with cl. 6, then going on to "portage rapids" and "rapids of the drowned." And what freakin' MANLY pelican had a rapid named after him up in the dang Arctic?? The friggin' nads on that pelican must have been huge :o

Anyways, this area looks promising. Also think in season Maine would be promising.
http://spectacularnwt.com/whattodo/outd ... e/canoeing
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:phreon - I think your missing the general spirit of this race idea. Do you think Iditarod was ALL about 100% fun and enjoying what nature has to offer? This is about overcoming adversity. Not only pushing yourself, but pushing your limits as an individual...the very spirit of the Iditarod.
Nah, I think I get what you're after. Seems like an interesting idea. Talk about fairy boaters, flatwater and big nards seemed silly though.

If you decide to run a class V section with a loaded boat, make sure it's somewhere a camera can be placed. No matter the results, I'm sure the footage will be spectacular.

Phreon