Hooters (as in boats)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Winslett
c

Hooters (as in boats)

Post by Winslett »

Would the Hooter make a good slalom boat for a guy around 210? What's it paddle like? How are the edges?

I'm asking because I'd obviously paddle before I buy, but I would have to drive 7 hours just to test it.

Thanks,
cw
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

"Defiant" would be better for your weight.
JKaz
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Haven't paddled a Hooter solo - tried it tandem and about sunk it (total weight in boat about 350#). Might be fun, but have only known one person who paddled one.

But, I have tried a Defiant solo - awesome boat.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I paddled a Hooter for a while, river running and local slalom races.

IMHO, fantastic playboat, acceptable slalom boat. Nice and dry, decent stability, surfed and endered well (I busted the nose up pretty good). There are faster designs for racing, but it's a great all around boat. I am 6 foot, 205, so I would not see any problem for you at 210 (although Kaz surely knows better than I, so you should probably listen to him on that, not me).

Next OC1 I get (someday) will be a Hooter, hands down.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I'm 6' 190lbs and have paddled a Hooter for over 15 yrs. Great boat for general river running, especially bigger water and technical rivers and a pleasure to portage at under 30 lbs fully outfitted. As far as slalom goes, it has a wider bow than most slalom boats so it is somewhat harder to "clean" a gate, not that I'm much good at slalom anyhow. Kaz would know best which Millbrook would be best for you as he makes them.
@ old and in the way; I'll keep you in mind if I decide to part with it. My boathouse is kinda full and there is not any more room in it for more if I want to get a newer boat :)
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Hhmmmmmmm...........

Please do let me know.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Winslett
c

Hooter for Sale

Post by Winslett »

There is a Hooter for sale in Ashville, NC; in case you are looking now.

It was on BoaterTalk (I think) a while back. PM me and I'll send you the contact information. (Not mine).

cw
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Winslett:

I bought old and in the way's used Hooter when he sold it a few years ago. I'm about the same weight as you and find that it handles well. However, I haven't pushed the limits in it much. I'm primarily a decked boater and mainly use the Hooter as an additional boat at easier slalom races and for an occasional river trip when I don't want to paddle my decked boat (the higher saddle height keeps my feet from falling asleep longer). I did notice on a river trip this fall that it became very "tender" after taking on only a modest amount of water.

I would ask Kaz to elaborate on his recommendation of the Defiant over the Hooter if you're still considering it.

John
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Hooters (as in boats)

Post by eddyhops »

Winslett wrote:Would the Hooter make a good slalom boat for a guy around 210? What's it paddle like? How are the edges?

I'm asking because I'd obviously paddle before I buy, but I would have to drive 7 hours just to test it.

Thanks,
cw
Chris, I have one a little closer. :)

Give me a call at work tomorrow.

JD
JD