car roof racks

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jakke
CBoats Addict

car roof racks

Post by jakke »

Hello Paddlers,

I'm in the search for new boat-carriers. We're talking about a car with fixpoints, 1 screw per fixpoint.

I want the bars wide enough (1.60m) so I can load 2 boats next to each other.

Now I don't really know what to take:
- thule, but I don't really like the fix-point kit, It looks fragile to me
- zoelzer (german), doesn't allow wide bars on their own system, do combine with thule feet though
- van-roofbars.co.uk, seems nice, but I can't choose the bar length, and there is no anti-slip on top of the bars
- ... .

Any suggestions, brands I forgot about, or confirmation about the thule system? I can't find decent reviews on the system :roll: µ

Thanks,

J.
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

I've been using thule for nearly 30 years and never had a problem, with multiple boats in storm force winds, fast motorway driving etc. They wouldnt be the market leader if their stuff wasnt upto scratch.
Izak
c

Post by Izak »

Thule is definitely not weak material!

and also you could take a look at yakima equpement.
I wanna grow up to do nothing but to have fun.
gk
c

Post by gk »

I've had up to five canoes on my Thule racks driving highway speeds without a problem. I more worried about the car thant the racks.
Dennysdad
c

Re: car roof racks

Post by Dennysdad »

Had yaks on my trucks for 30 years, multiple boats, hundreds of thousands of miles
Neve a problem. Son has Thules , same Can be said.
The main point should be to start with one or the other and stick with that brand
And just adapt to the vehicle you presently own
As soon as I buy a different vehicle the firat thing I do is figure
Out what adapters I need
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: car roof racks

Post by Bob P »

My 2015 Mazda had what I would call marginal mounting points for the rack: One bolt per corner, and only about 75cm longitudinal distance between them. I drilled and tapped additional holes so that I had 2 holes at each corner, and bent and drilled the Thule legs (originally made for gutters) so that they could bolt to my new mounts.
Bob P