C1 creeker - advice?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kiwic1chick
C Boater

C1 creeker - advice?

Post by kiwic1chick »

I'm looking to buy a creeker to convert to c1. This will be my first creeker and I'm not really sure what to buy. I'm thinking about a bliss-stick Scud as I like the hard rails. Anyone got any suggestions?
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

What do you weigh in pounds?

Out of interest, where in NZ are you? My Wife's a Kiwi (from Whittianga)
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I used to paddle a SCUD, loved it, a great fun boat on easy 3/4 but it's painfully slow as creekboats go especially as a C1.
I would think a MAC-10 or even Mini-Mystic/Mystic (both of which have a significant edge) would be better boats from the Bliss Stick stable.

If you wanted to look further afield to other manufacturers, the Riot Thunder, Wavesport Diesel, Liquid Logic Remix and Pyranha Burn are all decent convertions with edges, the Remix being especially popular.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

I would highly recommend a LL remix, Everyone who has one really loves the boat. I personally have a poor mans remix (WS diesel) which I really like. Its seems very fast for its length. Just my 2 cents
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Bliss sticks!

Post by OC1er »

I converted a SCUD last year, I love that boat. I weigh about 180 lb. Makes for a great 3/4 boat, the rails and length make it super fun, it'll surf pretty well also, tends to pearl though. And the boofs...my god the boofs! I've done big water in it and fairly tight creeks in it and had a blast on both! I also have a mystic, and I'm super stoked on it as well. It still has reasonably sharp edges, and it'll bust a hole like a dream. Bliss stick's plastic is top-notch to boot. Can't go wrong with 'em in my mind!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Louie

Post by Louie »

My son loves his Kalinnia.
NZ C1er
C Boater

Post by NZ C1er »

Scud looks fun as long as your not going too serious, I dont like its lack of speed, I paddle a Magnum 72 as I like speed and enough edge but not too much, Mini Mystic looks good, the Burn is not a good C1 choice, too much edge for a C1 and poor transition between the edges amongst other things like more dificult to roal than Magnum and mystic although the new 2010 models may have changed some of the megative points
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

SCUD is the worst boat on the planet for class II boogie or the flats, it is hoggishly slow. HOWEVER, it'll accelerate fine on the steeps, I had folk tell me I'd be hole bait when I mentioned converting one, and I have not found that to be true. I ran it down the gut in the second part of double Z on NRG at 3.5, right over table rock. Chair hole stood her on her nose but she pulled thru!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
kiwic1chick
C Boater

Post by kiwic1chick »

I am about 140 pounds and am not from anywhere near Whitianga. I was looking at a bliss-stick boat as we paddle water here that's too cold for other plastic to survive (I've already destroyed a Jackson 2fun and liquidlogic boats are suicide as well.) Also, they are easy to get. I would use a creekboat for grade 4 - on 3 I'm happy with my playboat (a bliss-stick RAD 185 - and yes it is too big for me.) Rolling wouldn't be an issue, as my roll is bombproof in any c1 with half-decent outfitting. But I'm not so sure about the speed issue, I paddle slow enough already. Any more suggestions?
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Get a mystic! I think the scud is a cool boat but it is def a niche boat. the mystic will be a fine conversion im sure and it will prob. take you farther than the scud on creeks especially if you start doing longer trips where storage is key
oc ender
C Guru

c1 creeker

Post by oc ender »

i've got a h3 255,i'd say it's the way to go.lots of room to fit in,not get stuck in,stability is excellent,seems to get better in airated water.initial and secondary are great,tracks well,boofs well and resurfaces well,rolls easy.great boat for all levels,i would even say for newbie paddlers,after a season in a open boat.awesome boat all around,and there's lots of used ones around.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: c1 creeker

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

oc ender wrote:i've got a h3 255,i'd say it's the way to go.lots of room to fit in,not get stuck in,stability is excellent,seems to get better in airated water.initial and secondary are great,tracks well,boofs well and resurfaces well,rolls easy.great boat for all levels,i would even say for newbie paddlers,after a season in a open boat.awesome boat all around,and there's lots of used ones around.
Either of the H3's would be wayyy to big for someone who's 140lb, maybe a small burn, but that would be insano expensive compared to a mystic or mini-mystic
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

my boyfriend has a h3 as a kayak - and says it is very slow!! I would not opt for that especially since you can get bliss stick a lot cheaper

Speed is the most critical issue for C1 creekboat, I have the same problem - the only decent creekboat that met my expectations so far was the finki (finkenmeister from robson), but it is way too big for us girls :(
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Mystics are good!

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Kiwic1chick,

Go for a Mystic/MiniMystic depending on how big you are.

I have a converted Mystic and it is good! You are welcome to have a try in it if you want - I am in the South Island usually somewhere between Chch-Hoki-Q'town. Planning on going to Bullerfest, Citroen.

Thanks
Gwyn
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Not sure how FAST you need,but i don't find it slow,if it's to big,then go for an H1 or H2. :-?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...