ACA Seeks High Quality People for Presenation

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Winslett
c

ACA Seeks High Quality People for Presenation

Post by Winslett »

http://americancanoe.blogspot.com/2010/ ... nters.html
The ACA is now seeking high-quality individuals and exceptional organizations to present conference educational sessions and workshops, Instructor Updates, as well as pre- and post- conference skills and certification courses.

This is the premier event for all paddlesports enthusiasts, ACA members, Club Members, Instructors, and Instructor Trainers from all disciplines to share the latest in paddlesport education, instruction, and emerging national trends.
The term "high quality people" rules out most CBOATS regulars. However, I have seen a lot of high quality comments regarding instructors.

cw
Louie

Post by Louie »

There ain't nuthin regular about me.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Louie wrote:There ain't nuthin regular about me.
need more fiber in your diet, old timer
Joe
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Not holding my breath
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I feel real lukewarm about the ACA. I'm not sure I would care to present whatever it is they want to disseminate. Their ACA certification for this or that is best left to those who believe such things have something to do with improvement.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I think organizations like the ACA can play an important part in the growth of the sport if done well.

Last time I checked they did not have a "whitewater decked canoe" classification, so it's a moot point for half of us.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Sir Adam wrote:I think organizations like the ACA can play an important part in the growth of the sport if done well.

Last time I checked they did not have a "whitewater decked canoe" classification, so it's a moot point for half of us.
I had a conversation a while back w/ a high ranking elected official in the ACA. He was talking about working w/ the Association of Governors on a national certification for paddlers. He made it seem like they were working towards having to have a license to paddle. I asked who would instruct me on paddling my C-1 squirt? I didn't get a coherent response. Then I asked if it would be legal to take kids out in canoes if they were not 'certified'. I was told they would have to be certified before they could paddle.

He said things were already headed that way & the ACA wanted to be in place to provide the training. I let him know that the only years I join the ACA are years that I want to paddle ACA sanctioned races. I don't think he appreciated my stance.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mike W wrote:... He made it seem like they were working towards having to have a license to paddle. ... Then I asked if it would be legal to take kids out in canoes if they were not 'certified'. I was told they would have to be certified before they could paddle.

He said things were already headed that way & the ACA wanted to be in place to provide the training. ...
I sincerely hope that was a misunderstanding on your part, a misrepresentation on his part, or some other kind on mis-something because I would have a problem of the biggest sort with that.
Louie

Post by Louie »

We have some tee shirt money to give too some one if not the ACA who?
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

sbroam wrote:I sincerely hope that was a misunderstanding on your part, a misrepresentation on his part, or some other kind on mis-something because I would have a problem of the biggest sort with that.
I questioned him because I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. He plainly explained his position. I wish it had been a misunderstanding.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Dont get me wrong i dis the ACA for there whitewater instruction not the face they host great events or that they do great things I wish they could figure a way to promote c-1 and races
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mike W. wrote:
sbroam wrote:I sincerely hope that was a misunderstanding on your part, a misrepresentation on his part, or some other kind on mis-something because I would have a problem of the biggest sort with that.
I questioned him because I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. He plainly explained his position. I wish it had been a misunderstanding.
Well, that's the kind of thing that would and should pi$$ off any independent minded person (GD or otherwise), though we can take solace in the fact that it is the sort of thing that is not likeley to come to fruition.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

sbroam wrote:...though we can take solace in the fact that it is the sort of thing that is not likeley to come to fruition.
I hope you're right. But there's $$ involved for the ACA & the states. You know how those political types like the green.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

If you outlaw canoeing only canoeist will be canoeing!!!

I'll be wearing my cboats colors on the back of my pfd.

I really, really, really can believe my local state and fed rep wants to see the local kids I take boating protesting in front of their office with the news media in tow. Not that I would do something like that... or float a burning boat down the river! :wink:

Sounds like uptight lawyer types are thinking up ways to get another cut.

Not on my dime.

I agree with Scott I hope it was mis-communication. ACA provides insurance to events and has provided information / hand outs for kid related training events (which was greatly appreciated and well received).
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

would that mean less congestion?