Latex Gaskets - Trimming or Stretching

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Latex Gaskets - Trimming or Stretching

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I've replaced my drytop neck gasket. The original ripped, not sure why. I originally had trimmed the neck an inch or so to make it easier to get on. It worked fine for a year and a half before the rip. Is that what I can expect out of a neck gasket?
Does trimming weaken the gasket?
I currently have the gasket stretched over a flower pot. Does this do any good?
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

good question....i should have my first ever dry suit shipped to me tomorrow. sole-quest.
any advice and info will be good on care and maintenace.
thanks, and pm me if you don't want to use up this thread to tell me what everyone else knows
paddlr
red boat ready
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I always end up needing to trim the neck gasket. But I always stretch it first. A couple days on a bowl or some other thing that my wife treasures. I get the best evil looks for that :)
when you trim it you need to make a really nice cut with no jagged edges or nicks, or it will tear sooner than later.

I'm happy to get a year and a half out of a neck gasket.

check out the kokatat site for care and maintenance instructions.
Larry
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Jim, the flower pot thing should be ok if its a little bigger than your neck. Can you leave it there for a few days? I know ... its raining like crazy and you want to play hooky from work tomorrow, ME TOO! If you cut it, do a real straight smooth cut with no jagged edges. I've used a brand new utility knife blade on a firm surface; cutting board from kitchen (more evil looks) has held up for 6 yrs at around 20 days a year, I don't use it if it is not cold out
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'll try it without cutting. Hey, Craig, what about Sunday on the Quin?
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

It used to be easy to stretch a neck gasket in a couple of weeks. But some gaskets have gotten a lot thicker. I think for most folks, trimming neck gaskets is the best option.

I have been able to stretch thick neck gaskets over a 3 liter plastic soda bottle, which is not much bigger than my neck. But it takes a loooong time. I now have a highway traffic cone that may accelerate the process if I have to do it again.

Many hilarious online arguments have occured between trimmers and stretchers. I capped one argument by asking my opponent whether he stretched his prophylactics, or trimmed them.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Jim, try stretching & leaving it on the bowl or whatever you use for a week or so. It may work for you. I've always cut 'em. Use a new blade. Be careful & take your time. Try to get all the way through all the way around the first time. Twist the top before you start so you won't have to lift the blade as you go around.

A year & a half isn't bad for a gasket. Go ahead & buy a spare gasket & some aquaseal so you'll be ready when you need to replace it next time.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

you guys don't use scissors?
barbarians!
Larry
Louie

Post by Louie »

Look for ridges on the gasket and cut one at a time and yes I use sissors
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Last time I replaced my neck gasket I was able to get a larger gasket, they fit the same hole. we replaced it on the car ride down to ALf last year and was able to wear it without stretching it.
Proud Yankee
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

wow, did louie agree with larry?

i say suck it up and just wear it til it stretches, but i guess i have a skinny neck
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

As said by many careful trimming is key, and best done only as needed after stretching. I always do so for at least a week (or better two), re-stretching every couple days. And really don't know why, but I've never had a neck gasket fail in less than a couple years. A year and a half, for so many - wow (not arguing) just wow!

while sort of on topic-

don't ditch a gasket because it's failed...

Get a good quality car tire patch kit. One with patches that taper off thin at the edges, and you'll get many years before replacing. This works for all latex gaskets, and will get you back to boating quick. I keep a few patches and glue in my big get-to-the-river gear bag, and have made many successful at the put-in repairs over the years. A real good way to make friends, and did I say cheap. And much better than trying to duck-tape, and then later salvage the gasket.

On large tears - using over-lapping patches, has saved major neck gasket tears. This was done by staggering a couple patches with out touching each other. And then overlapping the in between areas, once the first have dried. I do try to insure patch is well past the edge of tear, and also extend patch (other direction) past free edge of latex - then trim back to edge (Believe this works better than having a weak edge) Did one such major repair at the put in, and owner was wearing drytop in about 30 minutes. Saved the day, as it was just us two and real cold. Had one drysuit which eventually had maybe two gaskets unpatched, and never did have to replace any.. these patch jobs lasting for several years. Of course these were tears, and not simply worn cracking dried out gaskets.
Bill M
C Guru

Trim with scissors

Post by Bill M »

One ridge at a time. I also periodically use 303 protectant on all the gaskets. A year and a half between tears seems like to short a life. Unless your paddling a lot.
Bill
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

tear aid works really well for gasket repairs, also
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Thanks for all the replies. I did keep the old ripped gasket but I have used the iron to get it off and the edge may be irregular for reattaching to the suit. Can I use the old latex for patching instead of a tire kit? I suspect that for rivers edge repairs I need to use tire patch glue because aqua seal is to slow to dry, true?
Jim KR

a C-1 I will stand"