Latex Gaskets - Trimming or Stretching

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

i got my new and first ever dry suit today. it is a stohlquist body pod. i like it but the neck is neoprene and non-trimable (but heavy double layer)
anyone else have one of these?
i called stohlquist and said the neck may be too tight, they said send it back and they will put in a larger neck. he also said the neoprene will not stretch.
just wondering if i might be going from a tite to a leaky if i size up.
(by tight i mean my head is not turning red, but i can feel the 'clamping down' around my neck and it's not quite comfortable)
is that normal, do i need to get a hula-hoop for my neck, or send it back for re-size'n.
want it for alf, so i'm running out of time on this creaturecomfort thing
paddlr
red boat ready
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i don't know about the neoprene...but with my latex, i try to keep it as tight as i can stand. which is: if my face feels like it's going to pop, it's too tight. anything less than that is good. if it's really comfy it'll leak.
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Unless it's painful, don't change.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I have one of the neoprene (new type- is what they call it) neck gaskets in a drytop and have the neptune drypants with same gasket at the ankles. I've known a few people who've also had this type stohlquist gasket on drytops. Mine blew apart at the back, at the seam, after about 80 days of paddling last year. My buddy had the same happen, after about the same useage, but it took him two seasons to use it that much. As for tightness, mine did get better after use and I never attempted to stretch it. The day it was comfortable was the day the seam completely broke ;) stohlquist offered to fix it under warrantee and was cool about it. My ankle gaskets have never given me problems and those are not as tight as they were when new. I'd say give stretching a try but keep an eye on that rear seam.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

My experience has been to stretch not trim. I've seen on Kokotat's directions to stretch it with something that is a certain percentage above the neck size, not too critical. I found a cookie jar that seems to work great if left on the neck for 2 weeks. There were times when it was new that I'd put it back on the jar after I paddled until comfort was achieved.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Coldwater
C Boater

Neck Gaskets

Post by Coldwater »

Oh, the debate: stretching or trimming? Personally, I think that neck gaskets stretch out significantly after about 3-5 days of use and I never do anything other than allow for a sufficient "break in" period. I only resort to trimming after extended use and the latex is exhibiting severe cracks and I may cut down a few ridges to cut out the problem areas. Perhaps, mild stretching may be necessary if it is not possible to wear the drytop/suit otherwise. I certainly would advise against trimming before wearing at least 5 days or so. I would say that I have a pretty average sized neck and every gasket has been uncomfortable at first, though after a few days it stretches and is bearable and dry. After all, it's a latex gasket fitted tightly around one's neck.......it isn't supposed to be that comfortable. To me, tight and dry is comfortable.
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

Jim,
DON'T TRIM!!
No matter how careful you are, you will leave little nicks that will eventually tear as the rubber ages. Your gaskets will last much longer if you don't cut them.
LEW
MarkT
Pain Boater

303 'em

Post by MarkT »

The "stretch" proponents have a lot of experience, but I've never had much luck with it. I say find a moyle and make it a ceremony.

303 the gaskets and they'll last longer.

MarkT
Jim P
C Guru

Whichever works for you - I cut them

Post by Jim P »

Why do I cut? Because its the only way I can get a comfortable fit. Stretching won't open them up enough. Tried it a few times and gave up the blue faced look.

If you cut properly and 303 a few times/year they will last. I had a suit for nearly 6 years (probably wearing it 20 or so days per year)with cut gaskets. The only reason I replaced them was to put in smaller gaskets to make the suit a hand-me-down.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

A guy on pnet who thinks he knows everything argues that gaskets were developed first for scuba diving, and were designed to be trimmed. Strangely, he thinks stretching over a 3 liter soda bottle is much more damaging than repeatedly donning and doffing the gasket over one's head.

Gaskets are sized so badly that, for some, trimming is the only fast way to make them comfortable. I used to have an easy time stretching old time Kokatat neck gaskets, but my Stohlquist drytop came with a thick gasket that took many weeks to stretch to a comfortable degree.

As for the final result, setting fit aside, the only issue is whether one is OK about the narrower contact zone of a trimmed gasket, or whether one likes the wide, gentle contact zone of a stretched gasket.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Well I've used my newly replaced gasket twice now and am comfortable without cutting it. It is a little harder getting on and off but not a show stopper.

Time will tell
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Bah. You're all wrong. Leave the gaskets alone and work on compacting your necks. A neck tie worn daily ought to do it.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

naw, hula hoop is much cooler.
but as a sidenote, the stohiquist neck gasket is neoprene and about 2" long. but it's thick, double layer thick. no trim-able.
paddlr
red boat ready
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

you think latex is bad.
Larry
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Just got in a Kokatat dry suit - the neck gasket is tight, but bearable. But, I do have a pencil neck.