Tripping in a Playboat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Tripping in a Playboat?

Post by TommyC1 »

I'm doing a trip in May, the Machaias in Maine, that's said to be mostly moving water with some II and III.
I was origionaly thinking I'd solo my MR Explorer but the other guys on the trip will be in Vertiges and a Rampage. That's got me considering using my Encore.
Does anybody have any insights or tips on loading a playboat with a weeks worth of kit.
How about paddling IIIs with an extra 50-70 lbs in the boat?
The drops would certaily be more fun in the Encore :P
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

lower gauley is perfect place to trip in a playboat
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Do it! I have been on a few multiday or weeklong WW trips on the Lake Superior North Shore. I was in a C1 , but one of my friends always paddled an open boat. on the first few trips he used a genesis, but during the last few trips he paddled an Ocoee. he packed everything into 2 smaller barrels that laying down just fit sideways onto the boat. He stowed them under the airbag cages, as close to the center of the boat as possible. He ran class 3 stuff loaded. The boat will be more stable, but less maneuvrable and slower to accelerate, based on my experience with a C1. Rolling a loaded boat seems easier, too, probably due to the lowe center of gravity. You have to plan your lines more ahead and be aware that tight turns and catchinbg microeddies will be tough.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Jeff Budz
c

You'd be fine in the Explorer

Post by Jeff Budz »

Tommy,

After seeing you in the Explorer the other day I bet you would have no problem with it on the trip. But I think the playboat would be more fun, especially if we camp at the rapids and there are some play spots.

I took the Vertige camping on the East Machias last year that was about 90% flatwater and it did pretty well. A little slow when there was no current (flowages, lakes) and had some issues getting blown around by the wind. I think the Machias will have current the whole way so it could only be better.

As long as it is a big playboat you should be fine - don't think I could fit a weeks worth of kit in the Detonator I tried, however...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Take the Explorer and load a "playboat" (i.e. a Wheelboy) in the bow!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Took my MR Synergy when I ran the San Juan, and Slickrock Canyon of the Dolores. The boat still had some playful characteristics in spite of the load. On the Dolores, I had to carry all my water, but on the Machias, you won't have that problem. Plus, compared to me, you're kind of runty and won't weigh the boat down much.
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

http://picasaweb.google.com/danielsilve ... directlink

We regularly trip in vertiges. I just bought an impulse for tripping. Travis is in an MR Fantasy.... that might not be the best boat for the occasion, but he got away with a weeks gear by not bringing a tent and letting us carry the food.

I am in a borrowed Swift Raven. That won't happen again. Probably the worst river tripping boat invented. It paddles like a racing yacht.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Dan, you've got awesome pictures of the Batiscan! Thanks for posting.

My .02$ from a backpacker background: get a food dehydrator + vaccum sealer and learn to use them. Also a water pump and you're good to trip multi days in a small (and fun!) boat no problem. Rethinking your tent, stove and other gears setup may help too.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Nice pictures Dan. Looks like a good trip!
What size barrels are those? Do they fit sideways in the boat (with the ends under the gunnels )? O do you have to put them in with the ends pointing to the bow and stern?
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

Thanks. The batiscan is a great tripping river. We use a mix of 50 and 60L barrels. They do fit sidewys under the gunnals provided the harness is low profile. The barrels also provide pretty good floatation provided they are tied in. A genesis makes an excellent tripping boat
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Tommy,

I'm paddling the blue tank in those pictures. The Vert X holds 2 60L barrels sideways with 60" airbags. Let's just say you can't sink it! Fill it up and keep it going!

I've since moved to a regular Vertige and much prefer it for solo tripping compared to the Vert X. My 12'10" Vertige holds 2 50L barrels sideways fore and aft of the saddle with 48" airbags. I sometimes use the 70L Sealine baja bags instead of the barrels. You would need to widen the thwarts about 1.5 - 2" for 60L barrels to fit

I'll try to find a picture of my set up and post it your other thread on CCR.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

pretty fly for a white guy

Post by Longboatin »

Tommy, tommy, tommy... wow cboaters are inta pain considering life support too. Why not be comfortable man, I'd say explorer all the way. Why so many boaters on here afraid of a few more feet? It won't hold you back, it lets you do more!
Anyway, fight the desire to place yer gear around u like u would be forced to in a shorter boat. Sit in back and put yer stuff behind center to start. More spin, gear more back. Windy flats, gear way ahead. Nice flowing scenic section, ur chillin on the floor of your boat, relaxed, short boaters r in the straps.
Gear wise, I'd think no more than 50lbs if you wanted to tool around in the boat, but just more straight, downriver lines, u could probably take as much as u want.
What the heck else is an explorer for than whitewater tripping? Do less work, have more fun.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I've done several ww solo trips, up to half a dozen nights, out of a solo ww canoe. Usually put a small 30L barrel behind the saddle with heavy gear, and a 60L barrel in front of the saddle, with lighter gear.

I've used viper 12, sunburst, vertige, rival, as well as deck prijon chopper/boxer.

See Dan's outstanding images #48, 151, and 143 for examples of barrels before and aft of saddles. Dan, you got really talent, knowledge, and skill as a photographer! Lots of wow images in your batiscan river collection.

Slightly slower, more sluggish, but definitely the way to go.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

I cannot take credit for the photos. Those were taken by Colin. The only credit I get is for looking good.
Brewbeer
C Boater

Post by Brewbeer »

Who is gonna carry the beer?