Share your paddling lore!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MikeB
c

Share your paddling lore!

Post by MikeB »

Hello all!

I am working on an integrated unit of study (language, science, math) for my students and would love some help.

I am looking for any and all canoe related music, poetry, legend, myth, essay, visual art, canoe building site, etc. that you can think of that would help me to enrich my students' understanding of the impact our most loved craft - the canoe - has had on settlement, culture, and, of course, recreation.

My plan is to cover some science and math topics – structures, fluids, density, gravity and balance, etc. and overlay the oral and written language/cultural aspects of canoeing heritage as we explore/experiment with canoe design and mass to volume ratios. I’m thinking the culminating task will be something like student written folk songs or legends along with sustainable canoe design and build competition. The focus of the design and build competition will be on innovation with the reclamation and use of non-recyclable materials.

Thoughts and resources are welcome.

Come on high water! :wink:

Bibbs
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jottsee
Pain Boater

Post by jottsee »

A Classic Canadian canoe anthem is Land of the silver birch.

here is a link to a version

http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nf ... rbirch.htm

I still use this anthem to time my strokes when I am tripping, despite learning it 20 years ago in elementary school

jc
MikeB
c

Post by MikeB »

Thanks JC,

I have sung this classic around many a campfire!

A great suggestion!

Bibb
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I just finished reading Fatal Passage by Ken McGoogan which chronicles John Rae's career as an Arctic explorer who searched for the lost ship of Sir John Franklin and arguably discovered the Northwest Passage. While it is mostly about 19th century Arctic exploration and history, there is quite some detail given over to describing Rae's light and fast form of travel which was by small boat, canoe and snow shoe living off the land as they went. The hardships endured by Rae and his men and the amazing distances they covered should inspire your students.
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

There is a Canadian writer "James Raffan" that has witten a number of books on the subject.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The Univ of BC in Vancouver in their Anthropology Museum has a nice display on making the dugout. Might have more info too.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Note that James Dickey wrote a tryptich (sp?) of poems about a tandem canoe trip through Ellijay and down the Coosawattee, where they foundered on a rock and were rescued by a mountain man. Obviously related to his novel Deliverance.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
MikeB
c

Lore

Post by MikeB »

Thanks everyone!

A great list of resources so far. Keep em' coming.

Much to enjoy! :)

Mike
icyone
C Guru

Canoe heritage

Post by icyone »

Just about anything about Bill Mason....

Check out the website still maintained by family
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Re: Canoe heritage

Post by marclamenace »

icyone wrote:Just about anything about Bill Mason....

Check out the website still maintained by family
You can also check out the Canada's NFB web site, which has most of Bill's movies online for free viewing since about a year now.

Waterwalker, for instance:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/waterwalker/

Cheers!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I really enjoyed "Dangerous River: Adventure on the Nahanni" by R. M. Patterson - canoes figured large in that. "Trail To the Interior" was good, too.

Just realized that my wife has been singing frgaments "Land of the Silver Birch" for years. I'll teach the kids the complete form...
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

Here is one I thought would be interesting for you http://www.greatdreams.com/canoe2.htm
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

someone mentioned James Raffan,

Bob Henderson is another main man on the Canadian side,
[/url]http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/kinesiol ... n.html[url][/url]
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Some other ideas

Of course, Bill Mason

Also books:
Canexus: the canoe in Canadian culture / edited by James Raffan & Bert Horwood ; with illustrations by Bill Mason. Toronto: Betelgeuse Books, c1988.

The canoe: a living tradition / conceived by John Jennings ; with contributions from Eugene Arima ... [et al.]. Toronto: Firefly Books, 2002.

The canoe in Canadian cultures / foreword, Kirk Wipper; preface, John
Jenings and Bruce W. Hodgins ; editors, John Jennings, Bruce W. Hodgins, Doreen Small. Toronto: Natural Heritage/Natural History, c1999.

Benidickson, Jamie. Title: Idleness, water, and a canoe : reflections on paddling for pleasure/ Jamie Benidickson. Published: Toronto ; Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, c1997.

Gibbon, John Murray, 1875-1952. Title: The romance of the Canadian canoe / John Murray Gibbon. --Published: Toronto : Ryerson Press, 1951.

Paulk, Keith Edward. Title: The effects of canoe tripping on the self-concepts of campers in a long-term therapeutic wilderness camp [microform] / by Keith Edward Paulk. --Published: [S.l. : s.n.], 1982.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;