which side do you paddle on?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

left handed, paddle left.

I can see why he would say finesse hand on top, as you can turn your wrist the way you need to, to slice your paddle through the water much easier, than if you didnt have any finesse.

Luckily for me... I played hockey for 18 years, so both hands have plenty of 'finesse'. I find many similarities between paddling and stickhandling a puck. It's definitely made the transition to canoeing much easier. And also allows me to paddle with strong hand on bottom.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

i'm right handed, but paddle only on the left. i also bat, rake and sweep as a lefty.
down here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers
paddlr
red boat ready
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

oc1paddlr wrote:i'm right handed, but paddle only on the left. i also bat, rake and sweep as a lefty.
down here in the south east God paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers
I have to admit, Steve, that seems to be true! Guess I'm just going to have to work on my offside strokes more, because I ain't going to paddle lefty.
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Right hand, left paddle

Can roll up on either side but have to change hands underwater to go right. Wish I could figure out the roll with a cross-over hand position. Might be too dam old and inflexible to for that.

Dave
RodS
Pain Boater

right brain/left brain

Post by RodS »

BigMike wrote:Its a right brain/left brain thing. I'm right handed, paddle on the right, work in a creative job.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right- ... 1114603615
Interesting. I can make it go both ways, but clockwise is definitely the "dominant" direction.

I'm right handed and paddle right. My partner is the creative one in the household, but she paddles left. Probably cause I forced her to back when we first started paddling tandem :)
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Right handed, paddle mostly on the left My technique is much better with my right hand on the T grip. I'm hoping to get more ambidexterous because switching sides makes my shoulders feel a lot better.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Right handed and paddle mostly on the left. Can roll either side but have more problems on the left.
SYOTR