big boat crashes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i'm not slammin either. i think it's cool, in kind of a burt reynolds kind of way. :)
i know i wouldn't have the guts to paddle that thing in anything harder than a solid II+.
Larry
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

so how come burt reynolds never chimes in here on cboats?

my whole life, if felt as if something was....missing....

hey burt: if you're out there, where can i get one of them vests?
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

I was talkin to long boatin at the baby falls parking lot after his run.

I was thinking about taking a gruman down the ledges next year at Alf. Old School style, with an intertube wedged in the middle, mustache, wetsuit, and all. It wouldn't be as cool since he already did it in a big boat this year.

It was great to see in person. Had to give props. Something different. Bruises look painful though!
Adam Trunnell
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Adam I will be there in the ME. Lets see how many boats over 15' can go over!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Atucky wrote:I was talkin to long boatin at the baby falls parking lot after his run.

I was thinking about taking a gruman down the ledges next year at Alf. Old School style, with an intertube wedged in the middle, mustache, wetsuit, and all. It wouldn't be as cool since he already did it in a big boat this year.

It was great to see in person. Had to give props. Something different. Bruises look painful though!
Hey Adam, lets see some pictures of that Maxim outfitted! I am jealous of your yellow boat - my Maxim is purple.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

not anudder

Post by Longboatin »

Sure the long boat aint the right tool for those southern criks, theyre downright tiny. No issue on the ledges above Baby, so kinda bummed I broke the thwart and couldnt continue.

The longboat kicks butt in the home region tho, so aint gonna give it up soon. Its a river boat.

I do have another solo longboat in the works, just picked up an MJM, we'll see what happens
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'm astounded you could think that would end in something other than a broken thwart; Props for doing it though, I'd have been on the portage path if I was in a long boat like that.

That video had a room full of surfers & butt boaters go "Ouch, frell thats gotta hurt" in unison earlier.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

MJM is a super sweet boat - enjoy:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

I prefer to take the piss, then pick up the pieces

Post by Longboatin »

KW, well I usually believe the worse could happen is to fall in the water. Next time I plan to make it, whether by addition of flotation, or just more work on longboat falls running technique. Only had the boat over 1 other fall, 15 ft but less volume and slower speed landing.
Thanks 4 the props.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: I prefer to take the piss, then pick up the pieces

Post by Craig Smerda »

Longboatin wrote:KW, well I usually believe the worse could happen is to fall in the water. Next time I plan to make it, whether by addition of flotation, or just more work on longboat falls running technique. Only had the boat over 1 other fall, 15 ft but less volume and slower speed landing.
Thanks 4 the props.
How about being in the center of the boat? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

How about thigh straps, kneee cups and toe blocks? You know, whitewater stuff.

Good for you though LB. I wish there was more/better video, but it sure looked like you almost coulda hung onto it without swimming - for whatever that's worth with a swamped barge with a broken thwart, and bruised thighs.

But maybe you're onto something, sound like there may be more long boats next year?

P.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

yarnellboat wrote:How about thigh straps, kneee cups and toe blocks? You know, whitewater stuff.

Good for you though LB. I wish there was more/better video, but it sure looked like you almost coulda hung onto it without swimming - for whatever that's worth with a swamped barge with a broken thwart, and bruised thighs.

But maybe you're onto something, sound like there may be more long boats next year?

P.
Are stand-up boards considered OC's? :lol:
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

if you want me , you can find me

Post by Longboatin »

Center?!!! come on smerd have you learned nothing from the longboat rants of the past year or so? The back is where its at man, to have to flat spin the hull from the center would suck. Biggest problm I had was speed vs. distance to travel. The boat has to get movin for the edges to work, unfortunately one missed edge can toss u unsaveable into the rocks. It is darn tiny there. Really nice and technical 8)
And believe me, it felt great to see everbody screamin and laughin after my run, but I been po'd since i couldve run it better, one more stroke darn it
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: if you want me , you can find me

Post by Craig Smerda »

Longboatin wrote:Center?!!! come on smerd have you learned nothing from the longboat rants of the past year or so? The back is where its at man, to have to flat spin the hull from the center would suck. Biggest problm I had was speed vs. distance to travel. The boat has to get movin for the edges to work, unfortunately one missed edge can toss u unsaveable into the rocks. It is darn tiny there. Really nice and technical 8)
And believe me, it felt great to see everbody screamin and laughin after my run, but I been po'd since i couldve run it better, one more stroke darn it
Gotta grab that lip with the blade brah... that'll getcha' some big boat boofin'action :lol:

Bill Mason paddled solo from the center of the boat... so does Karen Knight... think about it. :wink:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: if you want me , you can find me

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote: Gotta grab that lip with the blade brah... that'll getcha' some big boat boofin'action :lol:
Based on my primitive understanding of "the boof", you are lifting the front of the boat with your knees. He's got about 15' of Royalex out in front of him. This I really want to see. And imagine the onomatopoeiac demonstration of the verb if he landed all of that boat *flat*...