big boat crashes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: if you want me , you can find me

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:
Craig Smerda wrote: Gotta grab that lip with the blade brah... that'll getcha' some big boat boofin'action :lol:
Based on my primitive understanding of "the boof", you are lifting the front of the boat with your knees. He's got about 15' of Royalex out in front of him. This I really want to see. And imagine the onomatopoeiac demonstration of the verb if he landed all of that boat *flat*...
Best way I can describe doing a boof move is to grab the lip of a drop with your blade... pull hard and sort've do a stomach crunch. How in the world does one lift with their knees when their knees are encased and pinned down to the hull in foam or with straps?

It'd sure be interesting to hear the sound a 15ft canoe would make when landing flat from more than 6ft... but not with me inside of it.

A simple solution would be to use a canoe that's actually designed for whitewater... but then we'd have nothing to chat about today would we? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm just repeating a variation of how its been explained to me several times. Just why do we go to such great lengths to anchor our knees in these little boats if it isn't to transfer power in a variety of directions? And just what is that stomach crunch doing? toning your 6-pack? :D The way I see it is more of a leg lift type cruch than a chin to chest type crunch...
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

the best way to handle that drop in that boat would be to run it sideways :wink:
really though..I bet you could maybe land it with a 30 degree angle.

and yeah LB.. those edges man, i could see those weren't working for you :wink:
Larry
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Whoa...the Kennebec is a whitewater playboat...circa '85 sure, but it remains highly capable of gettin down in the shid.
BM & KK - have seen only a few moments of Mason boating otherwise know nothing about either ones boating, except theyre missing out not boatin back. Only thing centerish position is good 4 is stability.
Plus, any images I seen of indians in canoes, theyre bustin it stern style, it makes sense to me theyd know what was up.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

That boat is a waterfall runnin machine. I'll bet anyone he lands it flat next time. Third drop's a charm. Maybe you need to try a slightly different degree bent but you certainly don't need straps, they would just be in the way. 8)
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

step AWAY from the glue can, son.

sorry..adhesive
Larry
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

http://www.onf.ca/film/path_of_the_padd ... hitewater/

... and that's all I have to say about that
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

Craig, you posted a long video. That lost my attention span after I saw it was 27 minutes. I'm sure it's good none the less.

I have heard the boof also called (let me be the first to say so here) the bedroom stroke. you gotta thrust your hips into it.

It's not quite as fun as in the bedroom, but that just depends i guess...

Anyway, we're talking about canoes here..
Adam Trunnell
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

there is a whole section in paul mason and mark scriver's book Thrill of the Paddle about solo traditional canoeing it is a great section
Craig in this book they are kneeling in the rear, so I would have to say that they would know quite well especially cause I think Paul probably learned a thing or to from bill.
Longboatin- i think some floatation and you would of had it not sure what your setup is but I know on my long canoe expeditions in big weighed down boats a set of thigh straps helped alot. It doesn't need to be anything fancy like the double straps you see in ww bats just a d ring right in front of the seat and a adjustable piece of webbing running through it. The setups I've used in big boats helped with control but you would come right out if you flipped cause your feet aren't locked in but straps might help the low brace go even lower
just my thoughts I know you will do what you want to do
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

so now that you're back to comfortably talking smack online, what were you two doing walking on little river road the day before the big crash?
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I have read your past posts on the matter and still can not understand why you two are opposed to thigh straps or a lap belt. It would have definitely kept you from breaking the thwart and likely would have kept the bruises from being so... UGLY...
SYOTR
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

We were walking to the car on our second run, I'm not going to lie. Call it second day in a boat this year, call it loosing motivation, call it being done, or call us wimps with no energy left. I don't care what you call it. It was a super nice creek, we just bit off more mileage than we could chew by trying a second run. We probably walked close to half way. Maybe too many safety meetings? Nah, that's definitly not it. 8) I'm not going to make excusses. We had a blast down there and on that creek. I surely will be back again. Until then the smack talk is on.
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Louie

Post by Louie »

On Race day down at Jarred Knee out of the nine open boats I saw run the knee coutin myself Lenghty had the second best run.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

movement gentlemen

Post by Longboatin »

to make the longboat work, you need to be able to move around, forward, backward, sometimes leaning hard onto one side of the hull, straps would make that impossible. Most of the time I'm not gonna run waterfalls in the boat, so it works great. Just need more practice, to make it work better. Some shorts boaters swam too, they had straps and other "whitewater" equipment. What was their issue?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I didtn't post this video to bash Lengthy, I was pretty impressed at how flat the boat landed. It brings back memeroies from when i was a kid watching big boats do drops.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker