perception Overflow X from K-1 to C-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dcnelson
c

perception Overflow X from K-1 to C-1

Post by dcnelson »

I have an overflow X that I can't seem to sell. I have been thinking about getting off the double blade and going to single blade paddling (since I am resurrecting Norse paddle co). Does anyone have feedback on using this boat as a C-1.
thanks
Don
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I've paddled this boat as a kayak and I have to say it is very tippy. It was pretty hard to keep upright as a k1, I can't imagine that it would be much fun as a cboat...
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The Overflow X is the best C-1 conversion I have ever paddled. Fast, nimble for it's length, great secondary stability, large volume, great creeker; but it is real tippy because it is narrow and round. I don't paddle one anymore because I can no longer sit low enough to be stable. If you can't stand a saddle height at 5" or less don't even bother.
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

To get an idea of the stability try to find a way to kneel in it without fully converting it. I don't know if this is possible with the way it's outfitted, but you might be able to take the seat out without any permanent changes, so it's reversible, then just toss a block of something in the bottom to kneel on and take it out on a pond... it won't keep you well secured but it should give you an idea of how "tippy" the boat will feel once properly outfitted.
I think if this is your first C-1 or the first time you've paddled one in a while, that boat may feel very unstable. I can't speak to its secondary stability as I haven't paddled one, but a 25" round hull is going to have low primary stability. Remember as you test it out though, that you're going to got a lot more comfortable very quickly. If the boat isn't too frustrating to paddle, you can probably go through with the conversion and count on becoming a lot more comfortable in the future.
drrpm
C Guru

I might be interested

Post by drrpm »

If the OX is in the southeast and is in decent shape I may be interested.

leahy2@bellsouth.net
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

ox

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

Oopsiflipped has one so he may chime in on this thread...

But the couple of times that I was in the ox it wasn't too bad.

The cockpit definatley is a little narrow and I felt like my knees were way to close together but again, the boat wasn't neccessarily outfitted for me.

I was actually close to buying the boat before I ran across an H2 255. If you can get it cheap go for it.

It''ll be a fast, challenging boat to paddle
dcnelson
c

OX

Post by dcnelson »

I will be traveling south to sell paddles, I can bring the boat! I also have an H3 255 that might be better to start with! Thanks for all the feedback and watch for my ad!