Center Bag Position

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Fleetwalker
C Boater

Center Bag Position

Post by Fleetwalker »

I have an OT Penobscot 16 and one Mohawk Canoe's 60" bags. I'm using the canoe to "compete" in downriver races, many of which include portages. Mostly I'm paddling solo.

If I put the bag in the center, it obstructs the carrying yoke in addition to keeping me out of the center of the canoe. What's the best position for me & the bag in this situation?

Here seem to be the options:

1. Shift the whole bag forward, so that I have a disproportionate amount of flotation in the bow. I think this still leaves me paddling a little aft of center. Alternatively, I could shift the whole bag aft, but it seems wrong to paddle that far forward of center.

2. Paddle from the center, partially inflate the bag and cover the the space forward of my paddling position. Alternatively, I could cover the space aft of my position.

3. Leave the bag home when paddling solo.

4. Don't buy one big center bag, buy two smaller bags. Sadly, this option isn't going to happen now, but I'm willing to learn from my mistakes.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Tim T
C Boater

Post by Tim T »

I have a Mad River Legend 15'. I re-outfitted it this weekend. I folded my large center bag in half and ran a cable tie in the grommets to keep it doubled. I then inflated it and lashed it in right infront of the carry thwart. Now there is room in front of the bag for my dog, and then the bow seat. I also have flotation in each end.