break down spare paddles?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

coloradopaddler
C Guru

break down spare paddles?

Post by coloradopaddler »

are there canoe paddles that break down to use as spares in a c1? with my renewed interest in c1's i may need one, one of these days. never had to worry about it since all my old c boats were play boats, and all of my canoes could accomodate a full size blade.
i've seen some kayak paddle adaptors with t grips on them and i've seen stand up paddle board paddles that have different sized t grip sections. i'm looking for a decent canoe paddle that essential breaks into two pieces. any suggestions?
i have yet to let go of my paddle in a swim, but you never know.
jim
MarkT
Pain Boater

Werner

Post by MarkT »

I have a Werner break-down paddle that I like and use, but I don't know if they still make them. Might try their website.

MarkT
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

You can order an Aquabound Edge as a breakdown. MSRP is $130 as I recall.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

My spare lives in my creek boat tied to the rear pillar. It's a lightning...bomber and trustworthy, but heavy as @!#%
If I ever get another, it will be a lighter paddle. A bandit would be perfect.
Larry
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I ordered a break-down Werner Bandit last year.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

bandit is only avail in 2 piece with the longer piece being almost 48" or something ridiculous, at least for c1. aquabound is a piece of junk. they won't come apart after being put together. i sent mine back to get it fixed and they sanded ferule down, but didn't fix t-grip i almost ripped out trying to get it back apart.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I have a Werner breakdown that's permanently stowed in my Prelude. I'm not so sure about the minimum of 48" on one of the pieces. It seems like my paddle, a 60" assembled, has halves shorter than that. Worth checking with them.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I was just loading my boat to go paddling and stopped and measured the Werner Bandit breakdown. Its longest segment is 42" ... so maybe that's as short as they can make it.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

The Aquabound Edge can be 2-3 pieces, I have a 2 piece that fits behind the seat in the Taureau. Blade separates from shaft. The 3 piece will have a breakdown shaft. Carbon blade/ shaft is a good paddle, white blade is floppy.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I used a lendal paddlok shaft and a t-grip to make a split from my broken Double Dutch Turbine.

I'm a big fan of the lendal system as if you tighten the ferrule up with the supplied key (which is tied into the pocket of my BA) it becomes as rigid as a normal paddle, and it's identical in blade shape to my Mitchell Premier.

Well worth considering having a blade made up if you're near a lendal dealer who understands what you want.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

If you want something better, Mitchell will make a 2 or 3 piece. I recently got a carbon 2 piece, which feels like a solid one piece. And will not leave you up the creek ... with something substandard.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I made my own. Cut a Werner in half, took a ferrule from an two-piece kayak paddle, popped it in the blade end with some g-flex, drilled a hole in the t-grip end, reinforced around the hole with some tape and g-flex. Easy, solid emergency paddle.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ncdavid wrote:I made my own. Cut a Werner in half, took a ferrule from an two-piece kayak paddle, popped it in the blade end with some g-flex, drilled a hole in the t-grip end, reinforced around the hole with some tape and g-flex. Easy, solid emergency paddle.
Did the exact same with a Werner Carbon Bandit and it failed the very first time in actual use. Not saying yours will, just that my did. It split length-wise up the shaft, and the blade end when straight down to paddle heaven. Thankfully it was at the last drop in a box canyon. Also did the same thing with a (hard)wood dowel in a Carlisle, it also failed miserably (should of used metal instead). Costing me several thousand in dental/medical bills, a 5-6 hour walk out, and cutting a vacation short. If you happen to only do road side or class three runs, then the it risk is not too great.; however in other spots the cost of a good spare is well worth the price.

Seems like someone mentioned/posted in the past... composite shafts differ, so results would vary.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I used a Werner Rec. Shaft is heavy, but thick and strong. It has been used a few times over the past several years by paddling companions who lost a paddle. Hasn't failed yet.
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Made one - hasn't broken yet!

Post by Gwyn »

I carry a 2 part split in the back of my converted Mystic. The longer piece is 34 inches. Have used it a few times to test, and no problems so far.

I made it as a prototype, hopefully I will be making a few more of them this coming season (both splits and one piece).

I can email photos if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Gwyn
www.shaggydesigns.com