Favorite Authors on the subject of paddling

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jatakasawa
C Guru

Favorite Authors on the subject of paddling

Post by jatakasawa »

In January, three days after the pinnacle of my paddling career thus far, I was severely injured in an auto-accident. (9.6 miles of Shade Creek was my favorite paddling experience to date, by the way.)

Since the accident I've taken it upon myself to live vicariously through books and my fellow paddlers and although nothing compares to being there, I've found that there are many authors that place into words the "essence" of paddling.

I know that each and everyone of us paddles for deeper reasons than we may know. It's more than adrenaline...more than being in nature...it's some soul pleasing combination of those and that interaction with the water that compels us. I want to know some of your favorite authors on the subject. Who puts into words your reason for paddling?

The board is full of how-to and gear posts....let this be a WHY post..why do we do what we do and love it so?

My toss into the conversation is the author/writer Alan S. Kesselheim. His book, "Threading the Currents" is incredible. Other writers capture perfectly that moment when you forget your bills, your significant other, your life and focus only on that next wave or making that eddy....which is why I paddle...I paddle to forget and get lost out there.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
golder
CBoats Addict

one of my favorites (yes its about a kayak expedition...)

Post by golder »

"hades or High Water" by Peter Heller is one of my favorite paddling reads. it is about the first decent down Tibet's Tsangpo River (yes, it is a kayak expedition). there is a good video of the expedition as well. its available to watch online at:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/62674/into-the-tsangpo-gorge

of course, i'd recommend reading the book first, but either way both the book and movie are quite enjoyable.

best of luck with your recovery.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

First of all, a hearty get well soon.. and back on the river! from all of us here at CBoats.net.

I have a collection of paddling books...all of which I like for different reasons.

i think a lot of the really great "instructional" books also have a bit of philosophy to them - my best examples being "Thrill of the Paddle", "Path of the Paddle", and "The Squirt Book".

The "books" I read most often though are humorous - almost any of William Nealy's books (Kayak, Whitewater Tales of Terror, etc...). What can I say - I like to laugh and learn all at the same time.

When I can't paddle (frozen water) and I am thinking of paddling I pull out a guide book - the "New York Exposed" series (books I and II) are some of my favorites as I used to paddle with Dennis a little (he was a far better paddler than I'll ever be), but I also enjoy Alden's "Let it Rain". I have other guide books, but I'd say those are my favorites.

If you are looking for other paddling related entertainment, "We Designed 'Em" is one of the best "canoe" movies I've ever seen. "This is Canoeing" (available from Millbrook boats) is a GREAT series of chapters on all aspects of boating - and as much as I'm primarily a whitewater paddler I'm not sure which section I've enjoyed most yet. I'm curious to see how the LVM "Canoe Movie" turns out too... from what I've seen so far it should be great!
Keep the C!
Adam
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

doug ammons

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

I think you would really enjoy Doug Ammons's writing. He has a website with some short essays and I'm sure you could purchase his two whitewater related books. "Whitewater Philosophy" and Laugh of the Water Nymp.
h
He's a pretty impressive guy. www.dougammons.com
JFD
C Guru

Post by JFD »

Maybe not exactly on the same topic you're looking for, and not all of these are even boating related, but here's some great adventure stories to pass the time. Hope you heal up soon.
jay

John Wesley Powell: The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons
Phillip Pendleton Kennedy: The Blackwater Chronicle
Edward Abbey: Down the River
David James Duncan: The River Why
Edward Whymper: Scrambles Amongst the Alps
Maurice Herzog: Annapurna
Alfred Lansing: Endurance
Joe Simpson: Touching the Void
Stephen Ambrose: Undaunted Courage
Lawrence Bergreen: Over the Edge of the World
jatakasawa
C Guru

Thanks

Post by jatakasawa »

It's not surprising that there are hundreds of books dedicated to paddling. I don't think you could nail it all down in one book!

Thanks for all your replies. I've heard of a few of your favorites and even own Thrill of the Paddle. That book opened up some doors for me!

In about three weeks I'll be able to get out on the water again and feel that intangible "oneness" and get lost out there on the frothy water. Until then...it's books and movies. Can't wait for "The Canoe Movie" Finally.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'm just finishing up don starkell's 'paddle to the amazon', the story of how don & his son dana lived out of their canoe for a few years as they paddled 12,000 miles from their home in winnipeg to the mouth of the amazon river. pretty amazing stuff. where in pa are you?
Joe
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Both entertaining and relevant to your location:

Let It Rain - A Paddler's Guidebook to the Rivers of the Northeastern United States and Canada

And Alden Bird is a C-Boater. 8)
Bob P
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

I love these two essays of John McPhee's:

A River, from Encounters with the Archdruid

Reading the River, from Pieces of the Frame
jatakasawa
C Guru

Located just outside H-burg

Post by jatakasawa »

gumpy wrote:i'm just finishing up don starkell's 'paddle to the amazon', the story of how don & his son dana lived out of their canoe for a few years as they paddled 12,000 miles from their home in winnipeg to the mouth of the amazon river. pretty amazing stuff. where in pa are you?
Gumpy,

I'm in Lebanon...near Hershey and Harrisburg. I've just finished up "The Armchair Paddler" which had a nice assortment of paddling stories combined with some canoe and kayak history.

Also, "Up the Creek" which is all abotu canoeing disasters and near disasters...kinda preachy but fun. Also, There is an ME pictured on the cover!
pyranaboter

I would highly second Douglas Ammons

Post by pyranaboter »

Ammons is masterful at capturing the spirit of paddling. Reading his books led me to realize a LOT about my own paddling as well. Get them as soon as possible!!
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Sigurd Olson, none can compare.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
jatakasawa
C Guru

Ammonds, Kesselheim and capturing the spirit...

Post by jatakasawa »

I looked at Ammonds' stuff and immediately loved it. I've heard of people finding spirituality/a state of mind on the water and somewhat experienced this myself. I don't want to get too radical and get labeled a freak, but I've had this theory that we get an 'energy' from the water. Maybe it's adrenaline...maybe it's 'mana' the Polynesians used to refer to or some combo., of the two. I don't know. I feel some kind of energy when I come off the water.

My buddy Tom, (FullgnarlzOC) gets a good laugh whenever I talk about that kind of stuff. But for me, it's one of the main reasons I paddle period. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's suggested books and authors.

No, I'm not chewing granola or smoking the wacky tobacky!
klund
c

Post by klund »

Dangerous River is a great (true) story about the early explorations of the Nahanni river headwaters in the 1920s. RM Patterson is the explorer/author. Not necessarily a paddling book - more of an adventure with some paddling mixed in...
DDraper
c

Paddling reads

Post by DDraper »

Good post!

Another John McPhee article - Swimming With Canoes http://www.wcha.org/tidbits/swimming.html

A couple of historical pieces well worth reading:

Great Heart - Davidson and Rugge
Fatal Passage - McGoogan

Not paddling, but water and adventure:

The Ice Master - Niven