Teva Cherry Bomb

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Teva Cherry Bomb

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've had to finally return my loaner booties, and now need a pair.

I really liked the Teva Cherry Bomb, but couldn't afford a pair when they came out; now I'm looking they've been discontinued and I'm struggling to find a pair in size 12 anywhere (I'm expecting it to be in the US, requiring me to pay for shipping so any other country is good too.)

Any help or reccomended alternatives, I heard good things about the Keen Payette, how easy are they to fit into a C1 creeker?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

The Keens are going to be easier to fit into the c-1 creeker than the cherry bombs are. I use the keens to get into my space cadet and the cherry bombs for my remix. The keens do have a lighter sole tho.

Have you checked out the Level six booties? They might be worth a look.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Bugger, turns out the keen booties are just as hard to find.

I may well end up with Kokatat Scouts, or Typhoon P5's (the same boots I borrowed from the client gear) at this rate.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

don't feel bad. I've had both and they're mediocre at best. I returned the tevas and kept the payettes,. the payettes seem better suited for c1 and creeking (softer sole, better straps). neither brand has good enough traction for me though. Smooth granite is such a drag. :wink:

i'll keep patching my old nike tokatees together as long as I can....hopefully something good will come out before they fall apart completely.
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I will let yall know if the level six creek booties are worth a dam once I get them and try them out
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

keen payettes

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

I have a pair of keen payettes that i've been using for about a year now. They fit really well in a c1 and there not bad as far as traction goes. I'm sure there are some that may work better on wet rocks but these are fine as far as I'm concerned because they were cheaper than the Nrs attack and the 5.10's.

The only problem i have is after a year, the keens are starting to wear out pretty bad. I'd say they've been worn between 75 and a 100 times and I doubt they'll make it another season.

I'm not sure how that would compare to some other booty's out there. They may not last any longer
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Right, If anyone is looking. I've found a pair of stores that have every size of the Payette in (Gear Fetch and ShoePeddlers), just ordered mine from the latter and at a seemingly staggering cost of $95.00 including shipping, it's still £2 cheaper than the only decent alternative I'd been able to find in the uk (Stohlquist Caveman).

golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i've been wearing nrs booties lately, they are fine over the gore-tex socks on my dry suit as well.

i have some keens (not sure which ones) that i used to raft guide in. they are ok. i found them to be a bit slick on wet rocks --some dry ones too. i always ended up w/ small pebbles stuck in them underneath my foot.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Myszoor
c

Re: Teva Cherry Bomb again

Post by Myszoor »

Can you share your opinion about the quality / durability of the current (2012 - black with blue stripe) version of this shoe?

The price is within my reach, shoe design looks thoughtful for me. Remains only a matter of durability.
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Teva Cherry Bomb

Post by ezwater »

Just try to find 'em in size 15! I watch TEVA like a hawk in case they offer something usable in my size.

One problem I have with some water sandals is that they tip the toe up for walking, but that makes them useless for kneeling in canoes. (I have to kneel on the tops of my feet. They wouldn't fit in a c-1 if I knelt with toes pointed down.)
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

What about these shoes, http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... nnie-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they look great and made in the USA!!
griffen_williams
C Guru

Post by griffen_williams »

The FiveTens look incredibly similar to the original Patagonia/Lotus designs booties that I have. The heels on them are quite stiff. If you have to lay your feet flat its probably a no go. It hurts to wear them in my c1's i can wear them in my open boats if im not on the water all day. I bought them when i still kayaked, wore them often and they are great on traction and drainage. I like the laces too, it felt super secure and gave your ankle some stability. Now I just wear the nrs kickers. Low cut and easy on off. I did cut the strap that goes over top of your foot off.
GW
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

FiveTen Canyoneers. I can't recommend them enough. I bought the composite toe version a year ago to do off-trail hiking and creek climbing here in NC. (we have a few slot canyons here. You just have to know where to look for 'em) I got into open boating about this time last year, and started using them as my water shoes. I still use them for off-trail as well, but they seem to get more blackfly time than anything these days.

I've beaten the tar out of them over the past year on all sorts of adventures on land and stream, and while they show cosmetic damage, they have had no deterioration issues. The Stealth rubber is beyond sticky. You can walk up the slimiest boulder with nary a slip. I even used them as bouldering shoes there for a while before I got a pair of slippers. Well worth the investment. They run pretty big, so try before you buy. I had to add some superfeet 3/4 size hard plastic heel inserts to get my heel to lock in.