Problems with my H2 255. (sorry long post)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

Problems with my H2 255. (sorry long post)

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

i have a converted H2 that i've been paddling the last few months.
I've been getting a little frustrated with the rate of my progression in the boat.

I started out paddling oc1 in an ovation then a zoom. And spent alot of time in a buddy's spanish fly before getting the H2.

I'm not really experienced enough to be able to give a good description of the problems i'm experiencing with the boat ; but i'll give it a shot.

1st... the more time in the boat the more comfortable i'm feeling doing things like holding my lines, catching eddy's, punching holes etc. So i know all of that will improve with time and days on the water.

The problem i'm experiencing is normally in CL 2 funny water, like boiling eddy's, backwash behind holes, peeling out of eddy's etc.
I can't sit in most eddy's without constanstly bracing and praying. Throwing a forward stroke is pretty much outta the question at that point.

I'm thinking its one of two things. Maybe a combination of both. Its hard for me to tell, but, I think I may be a little stern heavy. I moved the seat up about an inch but I don't think i can go any further forward because the cockpit is too narrow.

2. I'm probably not leaning forward enough and paddling more from the bow of the boat. I've been trying to work on that but Its kinda hard when I can't lay off my brace in order to even throw a forward stroke.

Its hard for me explain exactly what's goin on but maybe you got an idea. Any advice would be helpful.
Last edited by oc1kcwlkr on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

video and pictures are always helpful
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

what size h2 and what size are you?
the h2 is pretty low volume compared to an h3 or burn (61 gal vs 80 gal for the 255) and it's edgier to boot.
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

jack the rim

Post by yarnellboat »

Those sound like good guesses as to why the boat might feel squirelly.

If you have anyhting but skinny little chicken legs, you may need to boost the cockpit rim to get farther forward. If that's what it takes to get good trim, good stability and better comfort, get a heat gun, and probably a car jack, and lift the rim to make room for your legs.

There's some threads on here you could search about raising cockpit rims. At one extreme you can build a fancy jig for the whole rim; at the other extreme you can just try folding a towel to protect your legs, heating the rim and pushing it out.

I'm not sure how tall the rim usually is on a Dagger Redline, but I've got mine jacked to almost 12" tall at the thighs, and also raised it at the back for my feet too.

Worth a try.

Pat.

p.s. you might want to change the subject of your post to be more descriptive of your question
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Maybe the simplest thing is to try someone else's C1. Do you have access to another C1, just so you would eliminate that part of the equation? You may also even talk a true friend into paddling your's a little bit. This way you can see the trim for yourself, and also get an second opinion.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

I had a similar problem and I attributed it to two things 1) sitting too far back 2) edgy boat. I got started in a Perception 3D and was always on a brace or stroking. Once I got in a Jefe with soft edges I was able to sit and relax. It could also have to do with how much you weigh, like larry said the h2 is smaller than other creekers and it might just be sitting in the water too low.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

you could always jump back into the superfly 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Sounds like me when I'm too small of a boat (or I've gotten too big for a boat that is normall OK...)
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

h2

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

thanks for all the responses guys.

To answer a few of the questions mentioned.

Its an h2 255.. I"m around 5'7 180ish.

So from the responses it looks like its either..

A. i'm too big for the boat? (i'll let you comment on that now that you have my specs)

B. I'm probably too far back and will need to move the seat forward if possible. maybe stretch the cockpit?.

Craig.. I agree about the pics or video. I may be able to post something soon.

Alex i'd love to come down and use the super fly again on the tellico.

I really hope its the way i'm paddling or maybe just the outfitting. I"m kinda stuck with the boat for a while.

Other than the problems that i've stated, the boat feels really solid and stable when i'm in moving water.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

it is prob a trim problem. How tall is your saddle? You can trim inside the cockpit rim as well. This boat shouldn't be that unstable in class II funky water. Now when I was paddling my old session at 185 lbs that was unstable in flatwater haha
Also try not to just float in boily water it can make any boat unstable try to drive through it.
good luck
oc ender
C Guru

h2

Post by oc ender »

i'm 6ft,190lbs and paddle the H3 255 with a 7inch saddle and find it extremely stable,my guess is the boat is to small.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...