Working with composites. (where to start)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Working with composites. (where to start)

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

So I am an idiot when it comes to glass and other composite materials, but I would really like to learn more about it. Any recommended reading on the web or books. Hopefully I will find my way to pick someones brain at some point, but where is a good place to start? I want to learn how to repair first then hopefully go into more extensive projects.
Thanks
Drew
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Boat Builder's Manual: Building fiberglass and Canoes and Kayaks for Whitewate by Charles Walbridge (Author)
from the 70s and hard to fine but has what you need to start to understand the processes.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you're talking boats, the Walbridge tome PAC mentioned is still the best place to start.

If you're talking composite work in general, Gougeon Brothers (West Systems) put together several very helpful booklets.

http://sweetcomposites.com/WEST.html (bottom of page)

You can try ordering both from Sweet Composites, which is also a great place to purchase materials (and one of CBoats.net's long time supporters:) )
Last edited by Sir Adam on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

What they said. Also subscribe (for free) to Epoxy Works. I don't know if they have a publication schedule, they seem to come randomly. You can see current & back issues on the web. http://www.epoxyworks.com/
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Fiberglast Developments also has a good free "Learning Center" and lots of videos and books.
Bob P