Just a couple more H3:255 questions - Thanks

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

AJ
CBoats Addict

Just a couple more H3:255 questions - Thanks

Post by AJ »

I have the H3:255 and it looks good. I like the depth and size.

Currently, paddling a Skeeter and an Ocoee. Here are my questions.

Do the rails on the bottom cause problems on shallow runs/creeks?

Is my weight 180-190lb, 5'9" ok or is this boat too big?

Will moving to this boat be a big learning curve from Skeeter?

Has this boat been durable for others?

Anyone have some outfitting pictures? I have a few of my own ideas, but would like to see what others done, if possible.

Thanks again,

AJ
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Check with Bernie out of Dayton Whitewater Warehouse...Maybe PM him. He had a H3-255 that he paddled on and off and liked and is a master outfitter.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

The rails are all bark and no bite as far as i'm concerned. they never caused me any grief.

your weight is perfect for it.

i think it's going to feel like the ocoee, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting use to it.

durability was an issue for me, I cracked three hulls in two years.

mine was outfitted with a dagger pedestal.
Larry
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Another question for H3:255 owners, how far is the back of the key hole to front side of the back of the saddle?
Coldwater
C Boater

Saddle Distance

Post by Coldwater »

I paddled an H3 255 for quite a while. The front of my saddle seatback from the back of the cockpit rim was about 8 inches. I'm 6'4" and about 195lbs., so I would guess that you may be slightly forward of 8 inches, but that would be a good starting point.

I actually went from paddling a Skeeter to an H3 and it was far more stable and easier to paddle for me than the Skeeter. The durability of the boat will largely depend on the type of boating you are doing. My H3 was used when I acquired it and it was my only boat for a few years so it saw a lot of use. The hull was still in good shape when I sold it a few years ago.

The boat makes a great conversion. The initial stability is awesome even with a 6.75" saddle height at the time. The only time that I really noticed the edges was while peeling out of an eddy on my offside to ferry across the river. It took some getting used to in order to prevent the bow from getting blown downriver in fast current. I actually wish that I had kept my H3 255 around. Have fun!
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying the boat will start outfitting soon.
oc ender
C Guru

h3 255

Post by oc ender »

right on,you'll love it!!I'd get a hold of Bernie,he'll help for sure.No issues for me with wear and don't notice the rails.3 hulls in 2 yrs,larry,you're a madman.I wanna paddle with you!! :o
That wasn't carnage,watch this...