Is 129 open

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Is 129 open

Post by iRolled »

Is 129 open. Need to get fron Knoxville to Bryson city.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

Alex I've been checking the motorcycle forums and haven't seen any evidence of it being open to through traffic yet. FYI
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

looks like you might have to go the 64 route by the Ocoee
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
JeffH

129 is closed at Foothills parkway.

Post by JeffH »

129 is open between NC line and east of Foothils parkway, however it is completely closed just east of the Foothills. In order to get over there, you have to go through the park or down 411 and over the skyway. Another less traveled route is Parsons Branch "road" between Cades Cove loop and the "Tail of the Dragon" section of 129. It's an unpaved forest service road but it's not too bad. 4WD is not mandatory but would be nice to have if it's raining. There are several shallow creek crossings but they are paved. I ran this road last week on a GSXR 1000 sport bike and didn't have any trouble, but it was dry. It saved at least an hour through the park and more if I went around and over the Cherohala. If you're comfortable on FS type roads and have a little extra ground clearance it's the way to go. The road is 8 miles total and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so from blacktop to blacktop.
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

Thanks for the Cades Cove tip. After hearing about how it has been open since "before I left for Korea". Alex and I decided (read: brow-beaten) to try it. Closed at the bottom on the TN side. Well, after 4 1/2 hours, two dirt roads, and a traffic jam at a bear butt (not a misspelling), we finally made it to the NOC. Had it not been for the info on Parsons Branch, it probably would have been worse.

But, I guess everyone needs a few good stories.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

Fred, glad it all worked out for you guys.... some of us saw that coming from a mile away.
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

Which part did y'all see?

1. No newbies
2. Infamous Louie-esque road trip
3. Or was it something completely different?
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

Well I tried nicely to tell Alex the road was closed... I said "Alex... 129 is still closed" , the newbie part really didn't matter(cover), you can still have a blast on the Nanty. The part I'll give you boys credit for is that it was boater chic fest weekend, which is what I hope was the underlying motivation for the whole idea with a decent cover of "breaking in newbies". But I doubt seriously that either of you could have worked that to your advantage without a senior member there to guide you. Just saying. :D
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

OhCeeOne wrote:The part I'll give you boys credit for is that it was boater chic fest weekend, which is what I hope was the underlying motivation for the whole idea with a decent cover of "breaking in newbies". But I doubt seriously that either of you could have worked that to your advantage without a senior member there to guide you. Just saying. :D
I was there & saw no evidence of anyone "workin it"... :lol:
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com