Colorado in June

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Matt Fritz
C Guru

Colorado in June

Post by Matt Fritz »

My wife and I and a few friends are taking a trip to Colorado in June. Below is our rough schedule.

June 8 drive to Durango stay at Purgatory condo
June 9-11 paddle rivers around Durango (Animas, San Juan, Piedra, ...)
June 12-13 Animas River days slalom race and rodeo
June 14-15 paddle river around Durango
June 16 drive to Salida and paddle Taylor river, stay at little arkansas campground
June 17-18 paddle rivers around Salida (Arkansas,...)
June 19-20 Fibark slalom race
June 21 paddle rivers around Salida
June 22 leave Colorado for age group nationals slalom at ASCI

We'll be at Animas river days and Fibark for the slalom races, but would like to meet up with some other c-boaters to run some rivers the other times. We have been the last 3 summers and have paddled the Animas town run, the Taylor river, the fractions, numbers, browns, and royal gorge. We are looking to try some new runs this year.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet up.

Matt
klund
c

Post by klund »

I live in Longmont and sometimes head down to the ark that time of year. Bump this thread up as a reminder when your trip dates get a little closer - with a 1 year old at home, it's hard to plan anything that far in advance.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

klund,

Thanks for the reply. Will do when we get closer to being in Salida.

Matt
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

i live near durango and was planning on doing the down river race in my caption. it appears that my partner isn't going to make it. i should be around to go paddling while you are in the neighborhood. send me a message and i'll give you my contact info.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Coloradopaddler,

Thanks. PM sent.

When and where is the downriver race? It sounds like fun and I would like to do it too.

We want to try some new runs around Durango; class 3 to start. I've read a little about the San Juan and the Piedra. Do you have any recommendations?
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

here is the schedule for this year's river days: http://www.animasriverdays.org/?LinkSer ... showMeta=0
It looks like the down river race is on sunday. mesa canyon on the san juan is fun and easy class 3. the piedra has some pretty stout rapids with a couple of class 4's. maybe we could go check out the san miguel river over by telluride. it is supposed to have an awesome play section dropping off of sandstone ledges. i've been wanting to try out the east fork of the san juan too.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Sounds good to me. We'll be in touch and see you in a week.

Matt