Point of Hip Pads?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Point of Hip Pads?

Post by agmazzuckelli »

I took my skip out for a test run on a really calm river (mostly flat river) by my house, and it went really well. The boat is great; it gets vertical so easily, but it's soo edgy. I did make the mistake of forgetting to put a seat back on, so I was constantly slipping backwards. The seat back is no problem, but I was wondering about the hip pads. I see most people have them, and I have just been wondering about their function? Are they there to help keep you from slipping back in the boat? For comfort?
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Mainly to help with boat control ie more responsive to leans they also help keep you in the boat better don't have to have them but once you use them I think you will want them they really make the boat more responsive to body movements
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Hip pads

Post by OC1er »

I've found them to be necessary, I got some pretty heavy bruising from the cockpit rim when I started trying to really throw the boat around.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

they improve control. I found that whether or not they are necessary depends on the boat. If I do not slide sideways in the saddle I won't bather using them. If I do, I need them.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

[quote] I found that whether or not they are necessary depends on the boat. If I do not slide sideways in the saddle I won't bather using them. If I do, I need them.[quote]

True dat, currently I'm experimenting with a backband instead of a backrest in my playboat, and a lapbelt. The result is that the backband cordage and the lapbelt cross at my hips, and I really don't have any lateral movement to speak of. My previous playboats and creeker are all backrests and I had to have the thigh pads on 'em. this quote function has me completely befuddled....
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.