How to add a quick release on NW thightstraps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marclamenace
CBoats Addict

How to add a quick release on NW thightstraps?

Post by marclamenace »

Yet another outfitting topic!

I just added thight straps in my remix C1 and love'em; found that they add control too, as opposed to the lapbelt I had that was simply keeping my butt in the boat.

I could wiggle out in case of emergency but would still like to add some quick release system there, not sure what would be an inexpensive way to do it: the straps are 1 inch wide webbing (padded)

Also am wondering if these are really good straps since maybe on a big shock the small plastic clip buckles could just kiss'n goodbye?

Maybe I need to put 2" inches webbing there what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Marc.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I like wider webbing for comfort. But... one way to set up a single pull quick release system with 1" webbing has been shared on here - run both through a 2" cam buckle secured to the "rail". I remember seeing pictures in a thread... A friend (JoshH) recently set up his remix with snowboard straps with 1" webbing attached at the ends and routed similarly through a cam buckle. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of that...

In my Remix, I've got the snow board straps over the ends of my knees (w/o any special release) and my Dale Brown straps across my thighs. I'm planning to move those back to my SF so I'll be coming up with something else, probably a variation on the idea I posted a while back ( a pin + ring set up ).
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

My favorite thigh stap system in c1/s is nowadays simply a piece of 2" webbing and a divers weight belt buckle. The weight belt buckles are about $5 a piece and the webbing costs about $0.30 per foot. Cheap, reliable, quick releasing and does not slip either.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I like 2' webbing and love the aluminum airplane buckles rigged for one pull release... super easy in and out, simple, comfortable, cheap (well, maybe not cheap, but they look cool), I like the way they are completely released when released, rather than just loosened up... the only plastic buckles that I trust for thigh straps are the 2" ladder lock buckles. Those are fail safe, bomber and cheap.
Larry
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I also like 2" webbing with airplane buckles. Male ends on straps attached to the hull around the hips, buckles attached to boat between the knees with 2 short webbing loops, cordage passed through both handles so one pull gets both...then I looped webbing around the cordage between the handles. That piece of webbing comes out of the front of the cockpit under the skirt with a big grabable end so one pull blows the skirt and both thigh straps...I haven't been able to get satisfied with plastic on the straps, big pulls will pull webbing through plastic cams.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Thanks guys, I heard you 2" webbing...

Any idea who would have some in canada?

Larry I remember that fashion buckles address you pointed out some time ago can't seems to find it back on the web right now...

Thanks again,

Marc.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
mattr
c

Post by mattr »

2 inch web in canada: climbing section in MEC.

Very stylish airplane belts: http://www.skybelts.com/

If you go with buckles use the airplane buckles over cam's - i've had cam's come undone on their own before.

So NW thighstraps with quick release:
drill a small hole through the pointed part of the ladderlock and thread some cord through - attach the cord to some ball like object to grab onto and pull - pulling up on the base of the ladderlock will loosen the lock and the straps can come un-done.

ladder locks are great. go with 2 inch webbing over the 1 inch on the northwater; although i've never had the NW ladder locks break they just seem small and thin.
[/img]
Mission
C Boater

Post by Mission »

be very careful using cheaper airplane seatbelts. I had a chinese copy of an Am-safe buckle fail before where it broke and wouldnt release.

I now use sailing snap shackles or berghaus quick release buckles
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

fyi, the skybelt aluminum buckle is an amsafe buckle.
Larry
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Anyone interested in a quick-release system like this? You must attach the flat plate to the hull somehow. The strap is captive under the plate with the holes. Release is done by pulling up on the long end of the teal lever.

I've still got to do some minor tweaks, like a spring to hold the lever in the "secure" position when the boat is upside down.

Weight will be about 14oz. Might go lower if I find that it's overdesigned when I make the prototype.

Cost will be in the $50 range (no profit for me).

Bob P
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Bob, I don't use thigh-straps anymore, but that's a great looking design!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

mattr wrote:If you go with buckles use the airplane buckles over cam's - i've had cam's come undone on their own before.
There is a solution to this, route two pieces of webbing through a single cam-lock, hard to get locked in the first place and awkward to rethread but it' doesn't seem to slip like single ones do.

I have snowboard straps bolted to 2" webbing (where it would normally attach to the flexible plastic that attaches it to the rest of the binding.) and fed through a single cam buckle which is strapped to the rail.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Very cool design - I like.

Not sure I would want to spend 50 bones though - unless it proves to be a foolproof design, in which case, I'll buy two!