Paddle Selection

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Brewbeer
C Boater

Paddle Selection

Post by Brewbeer »

I was out paddling a few weeks back with some kayakers. While paddling hard to surf a wave, and not doing so well, one of the kayakers suggested that I should get a whitewater paddle. I am currently using a wood paddle from Bending Branches called the Loon (see http://www.bendingbranches.com/loon-rec ... paddle.php) that came with a used Disco I pick up last year.

There are many paddles out there to choose from. How does one go about selecting a paddle that is best for me? I’m a relatively inexperienced solo whitewater canoeist, 2 years infrequent tandem and in my first year with a solo boat (a Nitro). I’m 5’ 8” and about 165-170 lbs, and currently using a 57 paddle. I have tried a 62 and a 54 (also Loons) which seem too long and too short respectively.

All input is appreciated !! Thanks. --=--Ed.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

most ww paddles are about 8" wide, yours is 6+. yes a more appropraitely sized blade would be an improvement, but useless without a good forward stroke.

as for selection, how many rocks do you bash the paddle into in a typical day?
Joe
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

The Aquabound Edge is a nice, inexpensive stick. 58" is probably about right for you. http://www.rockcreek.com/aquabound-padd ... googlebase

You might find a better price on one with a white blade. Don't get it. The white bladed sticks aren't as tough and flutter too much.
pmp
CBoats Addict

choosing a paddle...

Post by pmp »

i figure this video clip tells you everything you need to know.
paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlyeuLYymzk
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

My sissy palms don't like too much the tiny t grip on these edges. They provide poor control anyways.

Go mitchell or werner.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
philinasheville
C Guru

Galasport?

Post by philinasheville »

I've got a sweet Galasport Magnum elite FS $150. It's a 56 inch in very good condition.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i agree the aquabound t-grips are too small, but the werner t-grips break all the time. i prefer all wood, or carbon over wood, for it's durability.
Joe
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

My hands are small. I like the Aquabound. I rarely use mine, since I have two sweet Galasport sticks. For the price, the Aquabound is a great stick. You could always put your own grip on it. I've never seen a Werner stick that I liked.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

probably out of your budget (certainly out of mine right now), but certainly worth a look.

WARNING: you should put a bib on, and cover your keyboard w/ something to deflect the drool.

http://www.rivrstyx.com/
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

There are many good paddle makers out there... and even more lousy ones.

Your best bet is to try out a few different sticks friends have and see what you think.

If that isn't possible (it wasn't for me when I first started - only one other CBoater around, but he let me try his two Werners, and borrow one until I could afford a good stick), get one of the many fine sticks recommended here. If you click on the "Paddles" link you'll learn a bit about them, and the "Paddling Links" section of the site (both of these are in the header above, just below the ads) are links to most of the major manufacturers most folks agree make really nice sticks.

I really like the look of wood... but not the weight.

I have a bomber stick (Rough Stuff Savage C1) that has taken a good beating for years, but does not have the bester water feel.

My favorite paddle isn't made any more - It was a Schlegal FGC Carbon... under 20 oz, including the aluminum grip. After 10 years it was warn out, and though I still have it I can really feel it flex, and I no longer trust it in whitewater.

I do have a new paddle on the way I have high hopes for - the shape and weight look exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll be posting a review when it arrives.

A hint - the manufacturer is one of our sponsors (ads at top) , and is very well known for his paddles in Canada... both wood, and more recently composite.

If anyone is in upstate NY, and wants to try a number of different paddles, let me know... I do have more boats than paddles, but I still have at least 10 different sticks (some not worth mentioning really), most 54", and a few 56". I'm about an hour north of Albany, and right on the river (not WW here, but at least it's water!), and about 20 min from the Sac (dam release all summer), and 30 min from Schroon and lower sections of the Hudson (when running).
Keep the C!
Adam
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Post by Fleetwalker »

Does anyone have any experience with FoxWorx paddles? http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/