2010 Tandemonium

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Not Elvis
C Guru

2010 Tandemonium

Post by Not Elvis »

Announcing the 418th annual Tandemonium, to be held 17 July 2010 on the Lower Youghiogheny River, Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania.

This is a 7-mile class III-IV river with two different takeouts--the first one is one (1) mile into trip below Railroad rapids, allowing paddlers to do just "The Loop." This is an option for those who find that they are not enjoying their partner as much as they thought and want to get off the river.

The other takeout is Bruner Run, located near Bruner Run.

This is a state-controlled access river, requiring permits for both launching as well as bus trip from takeout to vehicles. Reservations should be made sooner than later.

Getting all that formal stuff aside-- Who's showing?

As an added bonus, Paul "Not Doug" Cline has proposed a loop run for Sunday morning accurately labeled Tandemnation. This would provide additional tandemiscreant activities and eddy/wave piracy.

I have several tandem boats that could be loaned for the weekend should you find yourself without a boat. Finding yourself a partner is another story...
Not Elvis
C Guru

Adding a Sticky to this...

Post by Not Elvis »

Paul "Not Doug" Cline said that adding a sticky was part of the posting process, but I can't find it anywhere. Somebody add a sticky to this please...

J.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'm in. paul "not doug" cline said he has a partner and a boat for me, but my open boater gf anna and i had our first tandem ww experience yesterday, and it went very well. she may want in too, which (sorry paul "not doug" cline) would put me with her :D either way, should be fun!

and from video i've seen, louie & plg make an excellent tandem team, in the deathyak that is! maybe they'll make an appearance? :lol: :lol:

maybe lengthy & longboatin can get a 32 footer to paddle tandem?
Last edited by gumpy on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

This thread is now stuck up.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

The girlfriend and I were planning on attending the Black River festival in NY that weekend and extending the weekend for some paddling in Anglophobic province of Quebec. Since our plans aren't finalized yet, I may have a Dagger Dimension i could loan out or she may want to take it with us up north. We'll see. Sorry, my girlfriend and I would have loved to joined in the festivities.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks Scott for getting it sticky! :wink:

Jay (Not Elvis) I'm in - I'll need to get a count as to others who might be interested in involvement ... example "not in my boat" Big Al. But at the least put me down for 1 boat - 2 boaters (we have season passes).

Gumpy... so is that you "soon to be ex-gf anna"?

C U there!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

pac-yeah, people kept askin' "when's the divorce?" actually it went quite well. we talked about it today-we'll try it a few more times to make sure...i'll be in touch... :roll:

what she doesn't know yet is that i'm preparing her for falls fest :D

really wanna do that tandem :D :D
Joe
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Drat! Any other weekend in July would have worked.
FURZTROCKEN!
bruce
C Boater

tandemonium

Post by bruce »

JW and I are in for sure.
bruce
C Boater

tandemonium

Post by bruce »

Oops! what time for put-in so we can get permits?
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

I'm in. We need to pick a time to get permits.
Hey Walsh, have fun teaching that safety class.
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

My wife (after meeting all you guys at cheatfest totally trusts our collective judgment) and I will be there and will be ready for all the tandem craziness -

Gumpy - please bring some (Min - case, I'm buying or I can bring some pork BBQ 8) ) Imperial stouts!

Where do people usually camp, now that I don't live in morgantown, not sure what to do???
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

Jo and I are looking forward to seeing many "tandem acts of kindness".
Post a time and we'll get our permits. Camping location?
We're thinking of ASCI on Sunday, too.
Thanks
Not Elvis
C Guru

Post by Not Elvis »

Yes, by all means, let's decide on a launch time. Further, what are our camping considerations? I am thinking either the Ohiopyle State Park or Benner's. Benner's has group and individual sites--does Ohiopyle?

St. Pete Riverscout and his pirate camp have already started in on me with these questions, so we should get it under control.

I think we should shoot for a 10-11 am launch on Saturday and a 9-10 launch on Sunday.

J.
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

How far a drive is it from Schenetady/Niskauna, NY? It looks like I will be there from the first of July through the end of November.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.