Replacing plastic with wood gunnels

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

varvr
c

Replacing plastic with wood gunnels

Post by varvr »

Does anyone have experience with this? Looking to replace plastic on a caption with wood. Advice? Thanks!

Btw I already have the wood gunnels.
Last edited by varvr on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Go to www.edscanoe.com. They have pre made wood gunwhales for sale. They are cut down for shipping, and hav shiplaps for putting back together. Also, if you have a router table, a tablesaw, and a good location for White Ash, Hickory, Cherry or whatever kind of stock lumber you want to use, you could make your own.
A pretty good resource is the wooden canoe heritage site.
PBR ME ASAP!!
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

varvr,

Remove the old gunwales. Starting at one end, clamp the new ones onto the boat. How far you clamp is dependent upon how many clamps you own. Drill a hole every 5 to 6". I use #6x1 1/4" ss sheet metal phillips head screws. Of course the screw length depends upon your gunwale size too. It's not too difficult. Be careful not to break your drill bit and get it stuck in the new wood.

JKaz
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

chriscanoe

Post by oc1paddlr »

maybe i paddled the hooch this spring with yall. building a wooden sailboat behind an auto supply store and we both know carl? love to hook up and see the boat and paddle...
paddlr
red boat ready