Zap Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

sbroam wrote:That Zap paddle looks very nice! I'm sure he'd use dynel in the tip instead if requested?
I would venture to say he would, but am not sure.

I also meant to mention my paddle's final weight is 30.25 oz - 7 oz more than my carbon bandit, but still feels fine.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Art is to be appreciated, not tucked away and hidden. What better way to enjoy the artistry in those nice paddles than to use them and show them off to anyone interested
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Matt- I'm breathing life into the necropost you brought back to life at the beginning of the year.

So, after having paddled it quite a bit now give us some feedback please. How's the alum tip holding up? What was the order to delivery time? I paddled with your Zap at ALF and I keep remembering it, something about the shaft and how comfy that was. Just noticed that he custom shaped your blade, that was cool.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Jeff,

I have had my Zap on the river 23 days so far. It's still holding up very strong. The aluminum tip is holding up very nice - I can't really see one corner wearing faster than the other yet. No mushrooming of the aluminum, as I think he uses a solid piece in the tip, instead of wrapping a sheet around the wood tip. I'm still really liking the flex in the shaft. I placed the order on 12/11/2010, and I picked it up from him on 1/26/2011.

At ALF on the Ramsey Cascades section, I cracked one of the tips on my T-grip. I mailed it back to him for repair and had it back in 3 weeks - the repair has been very solid.

I am still very pleased with my paddle. I will try to get some pictures of the condition of the paddle now and post them up.
Matt Todhunter
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

2opnboat1 wrote:As far as ZAP paddles Vince let me demo one this last year it is a very baddass wood stick. I had no problems with the paddle except, it is so pretty and well made I felt bad about the way I would treat such a work of art. It felt good in my hands and I loved the flex in the shaft. If i could use such a pretty stick without feeling bad for destorying art.
I asked Andy at Echo paddles not to put dynel on the shaft of my all-wood reaction just because I love the look of a wood paddle. It laminate is pretty fancy too. But the shaft flex and overall feel of my new favorite paddle wasn't the only nice thing about it. After two years of use it looks in bad shape, I am sending it back to the shop and for a 60$ refurb it will be like new again!

So I would say don't hold back from wood: at this point even composite would be more expensive since you need to buy a new one each time...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Pictures, as promised:

T-grip. The crack was on the side that is on the right of this photo. If you look close, you can see the black line - he filled it with epoxy and sanded it down...can't feel it at all now.

Back of the blade.

Front of the blade. When i sent it in for the t-grip repair, he applied a fresh coat of resin to the blade almost to the tip - you can see that in this picture. Also, there isn't uneven wear on the tip. My Werner Bandit (carbon) started showing wear on the tip after only 5 or so trips. The tip that would wear the most is the one closest to the bottom in this picture (I paddle on the right).

Back of the blade, on the tip. Some wood is showing through the carbon, but not much.

The aluminum in the tip.
Matt Todhunter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Excellent pics, thanks!