Georgia Playspot and Forming a Hole or Wave?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Georgia Playspot and Forming a Hole or Wave?

Post by agmazzuckelli »

I haven't seen too many Georgia boaters here, but I know there are a few.. I'm tired of having to drive a couple hours to get to a good/even half decent playspot. Does anybody know of a place in Georgia near Atlanta preferably-because an hour drive isn't too much better than a two hour drive-where there is a good/half-decent-semi-large playspot?

Other than that, I've been messing around with forming miniature holes and waves and I can't quite figure it out, what works best to form a hole? A little ledge rock that makes the water flow over it steeply? And would a wave just be less steep?
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Supposedly, there are some decent holes on the Chattahoochee below the dam, whe they release water. I have never been there, but a friend of mine fishes down there some ( he is a but boater) and claims that there are some good spots. Good luck, and if you go be carefull of the dam releasing.
PBR ME ASAP!!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Georgia Playspot and Forming a Hole or Wave?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

agmazzuckelli wrote:Other than that, I've been messing around with forming miniature holes and waves and I can't quite figure it out, what works best to form a hole? A little ledge rock that makes the water flow over it steeply? And would a wave just be less steep?
Making a hole requires the water to flow in at a greater rate than it can leave... going from deep to shallow, narrowing a gap, or creating a significant gradient whch abruptly ends in slow moving water all do the trick, but wll take a fair bit of tinkering to get just so...

Just so you know, if you build a feature unless you use very large rocks, or cement it in place, it'll slowly degrade as the water moves the rocks.

The last time I was involved in creating permenant features we had big stone blocks whch had to be lifted into place and dug into the river bed with a fairly large excavator...

The alternative is to place a base of hydraulic cement with good early strength (fly ash based portland is supposedly good)and between layers of rocks, this is more do-able by hand (but still getting concrete to the middle of the river is a logistical issue).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I live south of Atlanta - there are some GA boaters here. I was all gung-ho earlier this year about finding rivers / playspots within an hour of where I live, but have since discovered that EVERYTHING south of Atlanta is disgusting. My dad got Staph infection on the Flint River. There is supposed to be a really good wave on the metro Hooch, but again, it's poop water. Be careful out there. A 2 - 2.5 hour drive isn't bad for good, clean water.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

http://americanwhitewater.org/content/R ... inGadget19
not great but good for in atl getting to it can be a pain cause you have to paddle up a disgusting creek to get out
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

"The Wave" is actually a really nice spot but it lacks any water quality and makes Sope and Rottenwood appear clean. Sadly I've been there a good bit for the "close" factor.

I've heard rumor of the Upper Hooch having some decent playspots but I've never boated there so I have no clue.

Believe it or not but the Metro Hooch can have slightly below 'ok' playholes are 3000-5000 cfs....center of ATL and beggers can't be choosers. I do attainments on it Mon and Wed mornings at 630am before work.

If you are good for a drive try the hole above Lower Ami putin, of course the Ocoee and Sec4 has a ton of play spots.....I like Mr Twister a lot and the bottom of Clear Creek Falls on the Cartecay even though the rest of the river is weak. Bottom of single drop at the Bull on Sec3/4 is fun at higher water.