today was 1st time in non prototype Ledge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

today was 1st time in non prototype Ledge

Post by Louie »

It was everything I had heard it would be, Stable, Dry, Heavy and deep. I was in the decked version so I already know how much of the bow and stern deck I will lose, and I am tickled to death with the weight and thickness of the boat. Thick boat ususal mean longer lasting boat.
I had ask Dick how it rolled from him paddlin it the day before and he said "I don't know I couldn't turn it over". I proved I could out do him and I could turn it over. Right before I out did him Chis had commented that "I ain't never seen one of those window shadded" He has now, with that bein said let me say it does roll back up easy, but it is hard to climb back in while floatin beside it.
Now about speed, well let me say this about that, granted I am comin out of mainly a Teaurea, but been paddlin a prelude a lot and the new thing had all the speed I needed. I don't know if it is fast or just so dam stable that you are never doin any type of brace or skull to keep up right and you and just dig ahead with full steam.Fairyin back oand forth above double trouble I pulled the paddle in and light a cig.
I am diffiently losin about 2/3 of the decks and goin with wood gunnel, smaller cross twarts. Bob had already fixed the outfittin on his so I didn't get to paddle one with the factory stuff in it. There was a lady on the ocoee in another ledge who liked what
Bob had done and was goin to get hers changed. I think Bob level and raised the seat maybe 3/4 of an inch. I am goin a full two inches, my knees will like it and as stable as it is the elevation won't hut me. As it is now you feel as if your arm pits on restin on the gunnels. I am thinkin about removin 3/4 of an inch off the back of the saddle. Addin 1" foam knee cup incerts, but it was trimmed almost good for me.

This can not be called an expert only boat by no means, any joe blow butt boater could paddle this thing and not look to bad. I know of a used Detennator and a Spanish Fly for sell because of this new boat.
crawpappy
C Boater

Post by crawpappy »

I'll buy your Spanish Fly.

Seriously.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I have no Spanish Fly but I could get you a super fly. Dick nor Alex never used theirs any more and would even notic it gone.
crawpappy
C Boater

Post by crawpappy »

ok. let's make it happen. i am without a boat now and we all know that's a bad thing.
D-Caption
C Guru

L'Edge

Post by D-Caption »

Maybe Bob will send some pics of how he set up his new boat so we can all take a look see.

D-Caption
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: today was 1st time in non prototype Ledge

Post by sbroam »

Louie wrote:...
I had ask Dick how it rolled from him paddlin it the day before and he said "I don't know I couldn't turn it over".
That right there is a quality quote.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Bob- please post pics

Post by Wendy »

My boat needs to lose weight too! Boy was it dry on the Lower Yough and Ocoee. Side surfed with ease. As Dooley said skips through holes. Yeepee
oc1kcwlkr
Pain Boater

Post by oc1kcwlkr »

lol.. i've been tryin to pry that superfly outta alex's hands for a while now.. good luck
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Louie wrote
I am diffiently ...goiin with ...smaller cross twarts.

Louie don't tell me you got little hands too?!? :lol:
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

that's funny louie. when i saw (and paddled around some flatwater in) ledge today, i thought that preludes would be dropping a couple hundred bucks in used market.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Nuthin to do with size kimmie, all about weight. I love the thickness of the plastic and know this is where a lot of the excessive weight comes from and the twarts are one place where weight could be reduced.

thicker plastice longer life

I will lose weight with the deck removal and twart reduction I will gain wieght with the gunnels and hardware addition. The saddle fix will involve some new foam and some removal of foam so I see that as a wash. The color change won't add any weight.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I am with Louie in terms thicker plastic and long life. This can help justify the price.

Is the plastic and thickness as bomber as the old Skeeters?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

The plastic is my only outstanding concern with the L'Edge... I'm hoping its thick enough for a very very long life.

But so far the Esquif team is on target with so much I'm betting on the quality there too!

Still getting pretzel logic as to why a 15 yo needs a new boat for xmas! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!