why do so many canoers have a giant chip on the shoulder?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

why do so many canoers have a giant chip on the shoulder?

Post by oopsiflipped »

i know lots of folks who canoe and leave it at that. but more and more it seems that open boaters have little man syndrome and need to prove themselves to kayakers and the rest of us. what's the deal? get over it, or i'll be happy to give you directions to elk river falls.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I think it's something to do with the whitewater mainstream struggling to accept the idea, and "Otherising" them...

There's a grey area though, I feel I have to measure up to a certain standard of boating, because all my friends do, and they're all filthy buttboaters... I have however accepted that it's sometimes impractical, or just irritatingly hard work to paddle an Open Canoe, so whilst my canoing overall has an element of "proving myself", the open boating is just for me to enjoy myself with.

You're not inspired by a certain someone are you?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I boat mostly with Kboats out of necessity, and we definitly rib each other quite a bit. The old "Dan would know since he spends so much time on his knees" and "what do you with the extra paddle, you should take your training wheels off, you're all grown up" stuff, pretty typical. I personally don't give a hoot what a person boats, I'll boat with 'em if they're good peeps. I've made a ton of friends thru this hobby, from almost all the different boat types. It ain't the boat, it's the river! It ain't the boat, it's the people! Jebus I wish it would rain...month off then pfd on the upper G? I'm screwed...

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I don't know if it's just an open boat thing I think it is a problem with the boating community as a whole. There seems to just be this plague of something to prove syndrome all over the community.

Now I will openly I am as big of a hater and asshole as they come and my "friends" (the people forced to be around me) but I really think the ego needs to be checked on the way to the river. I also don't think these forums help much in regards to egos

It's all about having fun in my mind. Frankly being a good/great kayaker, c1'er, oc1'er in the grand scheme of things is pretty trivial. Having fun accomplishing your goals and getting out and doing something for yourself is very important. So do it for yourself nothing to prove.

As i'm writing this I see the Esprit banner of 5 world class oc boaters and I have met 3 of them and they are some of the most down to earth guys i have ever met so...
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Whitewater kayaking and solo canoeing are sports focused on individual performance. Rapids are good at punishing our egos. Telling oneself that you are doing something better or harder than a kayaker builds your sense of self-worth.

There’s nothing new about this situation. Maybe a change is that with improved technique and equipment more kayakers can be running class V rapids in a few years of paddling whereas most canoeist never will.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

xmas0c1c1k1 wrote: Now I will openly I am as big of a hater and asshole as they come and my "friends" (the people forced to be around me) but I really think the ego needs to be checked on the way to the river. I also don't think these forums help much in regards to egos

It's all about having fun in my mind. Frankly being a good/great kayaker, c1'er, oc1'er in the grand scheme of things is pretty trivial. Having fun accomplishing your goals and getting out and doing something for yourself is very important. So do it for yourself nothing to prove.
AMEN!!!!

What is so funny to me is that the the more I paddle, the more I am constantly humbled by the river.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Although I'm not a clinically trained psychologist I would venture to reason that what you've casually labeled as a "chip on the shoulder" may in fact be due to a certain subset of kayakers that seemingly have an unfounded and enlarged superiority complex over the open canoeist.

Exhibit #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esw2pL6w ... =1&index=8

Personally... I could give two sh!ts less what type of boat people are paddling and most of the jawing back and forth is typically in good fun... although there are always a few exceptions.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
You're not inspired by a certain someone are you?

Tina Turner perhaps? :oops: :P
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Based on the L’edge hype, I get a sense that open boaters with short boats aren’t happy with the looks of their boats and open to ridicule.

These guys getting a L’edge might improve their attitudes.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

It's called pride for your sport. At least that's how I roll.

Being apart of an overwhelming minority on the water, a minority, where most of the 'majority' has never even given it a try.... I feel 'destined' to show them the way of the OB. If that makes any sense. Do you know how many times we got to a honkin drop this past week...and we'd be looking at it, and someone would say... "I don't know man... I dont think this is a good drop for an open boat", ect.

For most of you....you have nothing to prove. Whether it be you were once a hardcore class Ver, able to navigate almost any waterway(maybe u still can?), or whether you do it PURELY for enjoyment. Odds are .... you have nothing to prove.

However, for some of us...and i'll just speak for myself, because I seem to be one of the only outspoken OBer left in this world....It's that 'chip on our shoulder' that keeps us getting better. It's that 'chip on our shoulder' that keeps us striving for things that many swear 'cannot be done', and it's that 'chip on our shoulder' that HOPEFULLY will expand the sport to new limits and new boaters.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

eddy, are you just being silly or are you really a complete whack-nut?

canoes are inferior to kayaks. they have big holes that let them fill up with water.

i can only hope that you will take up crocheting next and your new mission can be to prove yourself the the knitters of the world.
Last edited by oopsiflipped on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Also notice, that people are usually a little more outspoken on forums. like someone mentioned above.

Usually when u get to the river... we're all about 'business.'

'Oops' that's for u to figure out. I'm probably a completely whack-nut to you. I'm a different breed.
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

oopsiflipped wrote:eddy, are you just being silly or are you really a complete whack-nut?
He's young, green, confident and to his credit... he seems quite driven.

That being said though... actions speak louder than words... it'll be interesting to see where he goes in the future.
oopsiflipped wrote:canoes are inferior to kayaks. they have big holes that let them fill up with water.
You'd best not be in our eddy when we're full of water after that comment brah!!!

:lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

thats wut im sayin craig... i think this forums r good for expressing what we dont express on the river... because we are too busy paddling (where actions speak).

I <3 cboats.

and i'm VERY green. Give it time, maybe i'll settle down... i dunno. Anyways....those r my reasons for having a 'chip on my shoulder'...and I don't know if I would even call it that.
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkY_IHP ... EF0CC57E7E

Awesomeness....when we get THERE maybe we could toot our own horns a little. For some strange reason, those that are there generally don't though. Hmmm.....