If you had to choose

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

If you had to choose

Post by ELGOTTO »

You are the type of paddler who does just about everything. River runner, play boater, creeker, whatever... choose your one boat to do it all in that was built prior to the L'Edge. Doesn't matter if you owned one or not. I'm just wondering what was the best all around boat up to this point. I apoligize if this has been asked before.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Dagger Ocoee would get my vote (sure the Viper will be on short list) as it's a good compromise on all, without being a total compromise on anything.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I've always said that if I had to get rid of only one of my boats it would be the SCUD, and if I got to keep only one of my boats it would be the SCUD.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

OC1er wrote:I've always said that if I had to get rid of only one of my boats it would be the SCUD, and if I got to keep only one of my boats it would be the SCUD.
I concur, I did sell my SCUD, and regularly regret it about once a month (usually on the second thursday of each month).

In terms of OC1's I'd probably pick a Prelude, for the type of playboating I'm interested in anything less than a CU fly seems silly so having a "do it all" would be impractical, though I might get away with using the cutdown Superfly I borrowed a bit as a learner...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

My do it all boat is my Mad River ME. Yes at 16 or 17 feet or whatever it is, it doesnt creek class V so well, but if I only had to own one boat for all the water I paddle, I would rather have my ME and enjoy everything from flatwater to class IV+ stuff. I love my prelude, but its certainly not a jack of all trades kind of boat, especially for a leisurely day on class II, which in my mind can be just as much fun as running the "Gnarlz".
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Yeah, I also think the prelude is good at a lot of things once you get used to it... But not exactly a freestyle boat nor river running for low luggage capacity...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If I could only have one boat *period*, flatwater or whitewater, it would be a traditional 16' boat with favorable WW characteristics (Explorer, Intrepid, etc.)

If it was only one *whitewater* boat I think I'd go with the ME, too. I can paddle it with a kid, I can run class IV solo. It's been raced at downriver and slalom nationals.

If it was only one whitewater *solo* boat, that would be a little tougher - Spanish Fly for OC-1. C-1, maybe a Sith. My Score is versatile, but I'd be nervous on steepish stuff; the Remix is the "easy button" but not very playful - I'd probably go Remix.
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

I paddlle an Ocoee 99.9% of the time, but I also own a Millbrook Defiant, which is an absolute joy to paddle in any water (that *I* paddle ... )
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

For my paddling style and desires... Sith... hands down!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Dagger Ocoee
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I would go with the Viper 11, or the Ocoee. I see a greater advantage on flatwater in comparison to a Detonator on flatwater. Also the Viper 11 is jaust a great all around boat. Surfs, Plays, And the SPEED.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

It doesn't seem like there is an overwhelming favorite so far. There have been some great designs in the past. I just wonder how the L'Edge will fare a few years from now. I've got to sell a few boats to afford one but that is my intent.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

ME, I love my Viper 12 but toss in the ability to paddle tandem and trip, as well as excellent WW ability I go with the ME.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

spanish fly.

with money tight lately, i'm thinking about selling my other boats, as i hardly paddle anything but the fly.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity