Echo Paddle gear test report

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Echo Paddle gear test report

Post by Sir Adam »

First off, a bit about me:
160 lbs (ish), 5'8", boating a long time, these days spend most of my time on flatwater (riverfront is nice:) ) or class IIIish stuff. In the past paddled up to IV / V (first half of bottom moose, Hudson Gorge is my home river, Ottawa is a blast though I do find the volume a bit intimidating). I value time on the water with family / friends more than pushing the grade limits these days, and am content to try more difficult boats rather than water.

Also... I like paddles. I find a paddle I like, and stick with it (no pun intended). I also don't mind having spares for friends to use, so I'm willing to try different sticks (I have a Waterstick, Maxwell Johnson blade, and many others...).

Years ago I purchased what for a long time has been my favorite paddle - a Schlegal FGC Carbon blade, with the aluminum tip it weighed under 20 oz, and was perfectly balanced with exceptional water feel. I saved up tips front guiding all summer to get that stick, and even at wholesale it was $200... and that was almost 20 years ago! It wore out eventually. I still have it, and like to use it, but only on up to Class II, as I fear it will break one of these days, and I use it a bit gingerly. (the shaft deflects alarmingly when I paddle).

What I like in a paddle - light, great water feel, stiff, but not shoulder-jarring stiff, and beefy tip (lots of rocks around here...).

For the past few years I've been using a Rough Stuff Savage C1 stick. GREAT paddle for durability and weight, but water feel was not as good as I'd like (a bit "blocky", as the tip is extra thick with material rather than have an aluminum or dynel tip).

In talking to Andy Convery at Echo this spring, he mentioned they had a new stick out. I ended up ordering one (it's been a while since I picked up a new stick ;) ).

WOW.

I haven't used it enough to determine if it is just as good, or in fact better, than my old Schlegal. Weight is about 22 oz I think, water feel, especially feathering and release, is noticeably better than the Schlegal. The balance is a bit different, and I'm also still getting used to the oval grip.

Unless I'm creeking (as the Rough Stuff was made for) I think I've found my new go to paddle.

Here is a link:

http://www.echopaddles.com/catalog/item ... 847175.htm

(and yes, I HAVE spent more on some of my paddles than a lot of my boats!)

I also ordered a flatwater stick, as I've always wanted one (this is actually what I contacted Andy about first). He is truly a master craftsman / artisan, and it paddles just as beautifully as it looks.... which is saying something. I look forward to doing a bit of flatwater tripping with it this fall if time / weather allows. So far evening paddles with Mckenna in an old wooden stripping I'm in the process of resuscitating have been a blast.

http://www.echopaddles.com/catalog/item ... 847039.htm
Keep the C!
Adam
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Great! I also thought the thin edges idea was looking good...

Bought an all-wood reaction from Andy this spring, got it in about three weeks time and love it.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

.Image

I was using a borrowed Echo while testing in July... I really liked it and even sent him an email complimenting him on the paddle... it's a very nice handcrafted piece of work. For creeking or in abusive situations I'd prefer a wood shaft... but the shaft seemed a little thicker and possibly more durable than a Mitchell... the index on the shaft was really nice to have but a bit too pointed. All in all... good stick!!! :D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Good for you! Does you paddle have the allu tip or the composit one? I hade 2 of them my self and fixed an other 3 or 4 that were delaminating at the tip, because the aluminum tip would mushroom and cause the the glass to peel off! I know after talking to Andy, Yukon got a new paddle with a composit tip that wear much better than the alu one!

Nice paddles for sure! my self I realy like my Werner carbon bandit... For now!
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Yes composite tip has worn so much better than any of the aluminum tips. I would not buy another paddle with an aluminum tip again. Incompatible materials. Compostite will wear, alumnum just mushrooms
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Hey Yukon, are you not suposed to work today??
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Echo paddle's website isn't detailing it all but in fact, everything they do is custom so don't be afraid to call andy and ask about what you need... Just say'n.

My echo paddle is all-wood has composite tip, sculpted T-grip, no black wrap on the shaft, doesn't look at all like the ones you can see on the pictures of his site. Looks great, was made to my likings and at no extra charges at all.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
edg
C Guru

Alu Tip

Post by edg »

Slight thread drift, but my very first slalom paddle (OK, it was K-1) had handwritten instructions from Davey Hearn on maintaining the Alu tip to prevent mushrooming. The secret is that you must use a file to keep keep the composite filed back from the tip. If you are paddling shallow whitewater, this might mean after every session. You should always have a bright, clean Alu edge on both sides of the blade. If you don't so this, the Alu will deform when it hits rocks, and will eventually enlarge enough to peel the composite away from the Alu and itself. The problem, of course, is getting the courage to take a metal file to your beautiful new investment ;)...edg
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I also like my paddles. I've owned a couple Echo's, my favorite is still my all wood Pursuit. Its got quite a bit of flex but it's close to perfect and it looks great. The aluminum tip is wearing but I've had no mushrooming or delaminating issues. Someday will get another with carbon blade. I would love to be able to get a comparison to the concept paddle. Echo carbon shafts seem a little heavier duty (thicker) than Mitchells IMO. Could be good thing or bad thing depending on what you like.
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Andy does great work...super nice guy too. The only guy I know who hits the river with a full-carbon as his spare.

I bought an all-wood Pursuit for my girlfriend last year and she loves it (still waiting for her to return the favour :wink: ). I know lots of other people who use his blades and everybody loves 'em!

For those environmentalists in the crowd, you might be interested that he's off-grid and harvests his wood sustainably on his own property.