Looking for foot peg help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kanur
C Guru

Looking for foot peg help

Post by kanur »

Years ago I used to see a foot peg extension that fastened to the front of a Yakima style foot peg that changed the angle from verticle to something close to a 45 degree angle.

In my new L'Edge with the pegs lower and being able to adjust them way back I'm thinking I might like to try a set of these.

Has anybody else used these or know where to get them?
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

you can make them out of thick cutting board type plastic... just make a 45 degree block and countersink some screw holes... bolt em right on.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Craig Smerda wrote:you can make them out of thick cutting board type plastic... just make a 45 degree block and countersink some screw holes... bolt em right on.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of a cutting board. I was thinking of aluminum.

The peg position in the L'Edge has been a very nice surprise. I have never had pegs that would go that far back and I developed vertical foot paddling position. A bad knee from a car accident years ago had started bothering me a lot. My hope was that the L'Edge would be stable enough to raise the saddle a little to ease the pain.

By moving the pegs back enough to put my feet at a 45 it took all the torque off my knee without raising the saddle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

this make sense?

the foam (minicell) would allow it to flex a little... maybe stick a bit of traction tape on the plastic as well... oh and put some washers and nuts on those screws. :lol:

let us know how it works
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Considering the challenges of heating & bending the cutting board once it's bolted to the pegs, or the problem with doing the bolting after it's bent to shape with foam inside - I just can't see that installing cleanly - I think a simpler solution would just be glueing on a triangle of straight up foam. Adjust and replace as necessary.

Or maybe a block of foam fronted by a piece of board and bolted through the foam and peg, but without all the board bending.

I'm used to toe cups, not foot pegs, so - not wanting to jam my feet under the pegs the way some people do - I'd definitely try adding a wedge of somekind to the pegs.

Pat.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

yarnellboat wrote:Considering the challenges of heating & bending the cutting board once it's bolted to the pegs, or the problem with doing the bolting after it's bent to shape with foam inside - I just can't see that installing cleanly - I think a simpler solution would just be glueing on a triangle of straight up foam. Adjust and replace as necessary.

Or maybe a block of foam fronted by a piece of board and bolted through the foam and peg, but without all the board bending.

I'm used to toe cups, not foot pegs, so - not wanting to jam my feet under the pegs the way some people do - I'd definitely try adding a wedge of somekind to the pegs.

Pat.
make the pattern... drill the holes... cut out the shape... heat up the cutting board in a vise and bend it... install the screws and hardware... push the foam insert inside... viola.

the foam insert is just to give it internal structure and allow a small amount of flex.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I figured the 'installing the screws/bolts' on the inside of a closed triangle might prove to be a difficulty! I guess the bolts aren't very long, so maybe there is enough room to wiggle them in place.

P.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Install bolts from the back of the footpeg. Put the nuts (and lock washers or use nyloc nuts) inside of the plastic triangle. You should have plenty of room to get a finger in there to start the nut. If not, use a box end wrench with a piece of duct tape covering the wrench opening to stick the nut in the wrench so it does not fall out while getting the threads started.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

1st attempt - FAIL

I made them too big, to hard to slip your feet off and on. I'll try cutting them down.
Dennis