bag cage loops

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

bag cage loops

Post by ELGOTTO »

Is there a secret to tying loops in an exact position on the last line of the bag lacing and what kind of knot do you use? The Mike Yee and Bell outfitting uses a daisy chain in the bottom of the boat and they tie lines from the last lacing across from gunnel to gunnel down to the chain. It may just be trial and error but if anyone has a tip I would appreciate it.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Seems like the photos show a W-style tying from the side of the boat, under the inwale. (nice cause it allows you to use a single piece of P-cord) if you tie the vertical strand around the horizontal strand with a clove hitch, it would have some friction to keep it from sliding left or right, although not a ton since you are tying it around cord that has diameter the same as what you are tying it with.

HTH,
Shep
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Mine have a Alpine butterfly tied in the horizontal strand to form a loop, and then the vertical strand is tied in to the loop with a re-threaded figure of eight (though you could use a bowline if you want it to be more releasable, or a rethreaded figure of nine if you want it to be even more permanent).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I use figure eight loops, but to answer the question there's some trial and error. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-eight_loop

The very first knot is easy, just tie it right next to the side of the boat. I then measure across and decide where I want my next knots to be. I'll make 4, two on the sides, the other two breaking up the line into 3rds.

I put my left thumb/ forefinger where I want loop #2, and tie it snug to my finger. Same with loop #3. Last loop is again at the side of the hull.

The trial and error comes from knowing where to put your fingers when tying the knot and just how much space the knot takes/ uses up.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

A surgeon's loop would be an easy option.