Repair Resin for Royalex

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

Repair Resin for Royalex

Post by TNbound »

So I picked up an XL13 for free the other day that has a pretty good crack all the way through on one side of the bow and a spot on the stern where the outer layers of vinyl are gone and the foam is exposed.

I was told normal a special type of resin is needed to adhere to the royalex, but cant seem to find what it is. Anyone know what kind is best?

Also, how does G-flex work for this kind of application?

I'll try to post a couple photos of the damage tomorrow.

Thanks for any expertise.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

G/flex is the right epoxy. But you might to do more than cover it with epoxy depending in the size of the cracks and missing layers.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I'm going to look for some kind of patch material as well. We'll see what direction the guys at the marine supply store point me in this afternoon!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

For exterior patching, you can just use E-glass. Don't waste money on Kevlar, it doesn't do better than glass for exterior patches.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I've had good luck using Rec Repair patches and their skid plate material for repairs. The patches have their own bomber adhesive. The skid plate you can form with heat and glue down with g/flex. I highly recommend that solution.

The Rec Repair patch I put on the part of the chine of one hull has taken numerous hits and stayed put.
vann evans
c

Post by vann evans »

I would use a kevlar skid plate kit for the stern. Follow the directions closely and it will work fine. I use West system Epoxy for most royalex repairs. I think the key to good adhesion is a)cleaning the royalex thoroughly and then using acetone LIGHTLY to remove any chemical , oil or other substances , b)rough sanding(80 grit) the royalex to scrape it enough for grip,c) applying the epoxy to the patching material and letting it dry . I stretch plastic wrap across the patch and tape it down tightly around the perimeter. Remove air bubbles by use of a squegee. This will make the repair smooth.

Perhaps the hull crack could be resolved in the same way by patching it on both sides -depends on the size and placement.

Vann Evans