Glasses, goggles, squint, pray?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Glasses, goggles, squint, pray?

Post by solo_konoe »

New member of TOG who wonders what other optically challenged paddlers do (aside from "feel the force Luke")?

Lasik- yea or nay? (the concept of Doogie Howser with a laser is not comforting...) :o

-K
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I wear contacts which can be problematic at times. I've never lost one but have had it where I couldn't see momentarily, which can be interesting. I've tried goggles, but couldn't find any that didn't fog up...but there must be some better ones out there? It would be nice to be able to see while rolling or immediately after rolling or getting splashed in the face :D
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I have an older pair of glasses with a strap (croakie) - haven't had them come off yet, and I swim a LOT! :o
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

I just duck tape a strap on my glasses and hit it. I have swam and flipped in same nasty class 4 stuff and they stay on my face mostly.
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

One of the best investments I've made lately was to get outfitted for contacts. I use the disposable kind. I only use 'em for paddling, so it's really not that expensive.

What a difference!!
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

my buddy carries a spare set of disposable contacts in his dry box!
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

straps on my glasses haven't failed me yet.

forgetting to put them on at the put-in has.

i will say that polarized sunglasses was about the best purchase i've made.

fog is pretty unavoidable some days, especially in cold weather, humid weather, or really, most other weather as well. rolling practice is a good way to clean off the lenses. (that cat crap, is really bull sh*t--dont work at all).

so for me, its glasses till the fog kicks in, then a bit of squinting till the glasses clear back up. repeat as needed.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Pretty much what Golder said. I lost a good set of prescription sunglasses (in surf) as did my brother (if I'd only reminded him...) without straps. As both I and my daughter wear glasses, I keep a handful of the cheap tubing type straps you can by at outfitters for $2/ea in my gear box.

Cat Cr@p works, sort of, until it gets wet. [Those pictures from the Upper Green? Cat Cr@p on the lens - worked fine for the first 2-3...]

Never got comfortable with contacts but know lots of folks that use disposables on the river - just close your eyes when you immerse.

Fortunately, my vision without glasses (or when fogged) is good enough to get down stuff I'm familiar with...
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

for me, i've found the cat crap worse than nothing. but thats just my .02.

i can't seem to keep contacts in my eyes, so its not really an option. but i do really like being able to open my eyes under water without it being an issue. its nice to know where to go to the light, and get there and still be able to see where you're going.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

I've made a strap out of duck tape that is always wrapped on my paddle. Not the best but will work in a pinch.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I went to my eye exam and asked if there was a contact that was wider for more coverage al la more suction. I think I got like an extra 1mm wide but the soft contacts only have problems running Oceana and Moshier Rapid. Other than that they consistantly stay put. I haven't ever carried extra pairs except on a multiday trip.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I use Sea Drops on my diving mask - wonder how it would work on my glasses. I may give it a shot.